Author Topic: Cold start valve needle  (Read 1675 times)

mauro12

• Gold
  • Italy, Sicily, Messina
Cold start valve needle
« on: December 07, 2022, 22:27:07 »
Hi guys , something strange happened to me . My car with a freshly rebuilt injection pump has always suffered , even before the pump rebuilt , from an hard cold start . I decided to overhaul the csv with the help of my mechanic , we found out that the internal jets have been blocked by some sealant . We put everything back together but the car was running so rich with a huge amount of smoke and very rough. We came with the conclusion that the csv brass needle and spring are not sealing properly , there is no other explanation. I believe that even if the csv is activated only with the solenoid input , there must be always a fuel pressure coming in the pipe so if there is no proper seal , you will have a flood of fuel into your engine .
I decided to buy from the sl shop in uk a new brass needle and spring , I also bought a new strainer connection to the csv , I guess it should improve the sealing capacity .
Have you ever had this problem with needle replacement ? I haven’t find nothing in forum .
Thank you
Mauro Pisani
250sl 1967 5speed zf manual

mauro12

• Gold
  • Italy, Sicily, Messina
Re: Cold start valve needle
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2022, 09:33:42 »
Any suggestion for me or advice ?
Mauro Pisani

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2022, 19:33:01 »
I decided to buy from the sl shop in uk a new brass needle and spring ... Have you ever had this problem with needle replacement ?
Are you saying you bought the needle and spring, and are now having problems replacing old with new?
Are you asking if others have had to buy new needle and spring to achieve a good internal seal in csv?
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

mauro12

• Gold
  • Italy, Sicily, Messina
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2022, 20:11:26 »
I would like to know if you ever had the same problem with the needle and spring . I had a big internal leak in the csv with the old one . I’m waiting for the new parts and I will install
Mauro Pisani

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2022, 20:29:55 »
I now people have had external leaks, but I don't know about internal leaks that cause rich running condition.  I think that is less common, or maybe people don't know or can't find the cause and they make other lean adjustments to compensate.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

mauro12

• Gold
  • Italy, Sicily, Messina
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2022, 22:48:30 »
The main cause of rich running condition is the csv leaking internally. Is the worst because you have a flow of petrol pouring inside your engine and that’s the worst .
Mauro Pisani

mauro12

• Gold
  • Italy, Sicily, Messina
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2023, 14:38:45 »
Guys sorry , I’ve just received the new csv needle valve form the sl shop uk but I have some doubts .
I will post a picture , the old needle valve used to have a pin hole ( I guess to let the fuel pass through) on the top but this new one doesn’t have . Do you think it will work ? Thank you
Mauro Pisani

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2023, 17:29:46 »
Well it certainly looks different to me ... maybe send the photo to the supplier and ask for confirmation this is the correct item?
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

mauro12

• Gold
  • Italy, Sicily, Messina
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2023, 18:37:18 »
It looks the same apart from that pin hole on the top . I’ve been told from a friend that recently lapped his old needle , that this hole has not any structural function .
I’m still waiting for the answer of the sl shop but I’ve seen the same item for sale in Germany ( sls shop ) . For this reason I guess it should work.
Do you know how the internal needle of the csv work ?
Mauro Pisani

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2023, 14:27:44 »
The standard procedure for checking for a leaking valve is to remove the small 7mm(?) plug with the engine running. If you see fuel leaking then your valve is either open (constant 12v) or leaking. A leaking valve can usually be resolved with lapping paste.

Lorsar

• Membership Administrator
  • Senior
  • USA, NC, Charlotte
  • 1968 280SL (US)
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2023, 15:40:10 »
Mine leaked a little, after cleaning everything I stretched the spring a tiny bit which made for a tighter fit when closed.
Lori
1968 280SL (US)

mauro12

• Gold
  • Italy, Sicily, Messina
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2023, 21:39:47 »
My needle was not sealing properly . The conical shape was not round anymore . The result was that after some cranking , the position of the needle moved and a huge fuel flow was entering in the engine . For this reason I decided to disconnect temporary the csv and wait for a new needle .
I tryed to lap the valve but no results . Maybe with the lathe you can re shape again but buying a new one is just 20 €.
This small thing is essential because is the only barrier between the fuel pipe and the intake manifold.
Mauro Pisani