Author Topic: Nice drive to see the beginnings of Alex's journey  (Read 2659 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Nice drive to see the beginnings of Alex's journey
« on: November 23, 2022, 22:56:02 »
As many of you know, our board member AlexD's car was in a crash earlier this year. After a lot of back and forth with the parties involved and the insurance companies he's on track with a plan to get the car fixed. His Mechanical work will be done locally in Chapel Hill, NC by "A Better Wrench". He was at odds with finding a reasonable shop to do the bodywork that  knows the cars and one he could trust; he didn't want a shop wanting a blank check. I convinced him to send it to Motorwerks in Commerce, Michigan after the mechanical work is done. So, the owner of Motorworks, Satish Tummala, came down yesterday from Detroit to Raleigh to take a good look at the car "in the metal" and come up with the plan. You have to admire a proprietor who will get on a plane, take a round trip to see the work ahead of him!

It was going to be a nice day, so I told Alex I'd drive to see him and see my old friend Satish, and see the car for myself. Motorwerks has done a lot of work on my car over the years. It was a nice drive, with the hardtop. About 2.5 hours each way at 4000 RPM. My car ran like a charm, though I used a tank of premium gas on the trip. Good to get it out and going now and then!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 00:18:47 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

AdelaidePagoda

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Australia, South Australia, Adelaide
Re: Nice drive to see the beginnings of Alex's journey
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2022, 02:58:15 »
Michael, what a true Gentleman you are! This is a wonderful gesture to help a friend in need. This is the true sport of selflessness and community that the SL113 Forum exemplifies, Bravo!
Dave Cleghorn
January 1964 230SL 4SPD Power Steering
050 050 Black Soft top, Red Leather interior
Italian delivered/ Germany/ Florida/ Boston/ Sydney/ Adelaide (5th owner)

Model S Tesla
Vespa

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2022, 03:18:47 »
That's a sorry sight. At least the bumper and tail light look ok, and maybe the front is ok?
Surely the wheel got trashed in the accident, I guess that is the spare.
I hope you can find a good solid matching door. There do seem to be a few out there, saved from rusty cars.
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

H. Keith Henry

• Regular
  • USA, VA, Yorktown, Va
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2022, 15:10:05 »
The license plates are interesting. I wish we, in Virginia, could do something like you have on the front end of your car, Michael. We have to have a regular state plate. And Alex's plate?
1970 280 SL, auto, US spec, 050 white with burgundy interior and soft top. Originally special order, white on white on white tex. Manufacturing date May 1970
2002 Mercedes C320 wagon
1989 Honda Civic wagon
1979 MG Midget, original owner

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2022, 17:29:05 »
The license plates are interesting. I wish we, in Virginia, could do something like you have on the front end of your car, Michael. We have to have a regular state plate. And Alex's plate?

Keith, yes, NC is a "one plate" state. You can (and people do, though not quite sure of the legitimacy) put whatever you want on the front. I spent many decades in Michigan, also a one-plate state, so my ersatz German plate has been with my car for many years.

In NC they go one step further with antique plates, and don't ask me how this works because it doesn't make a lick of sense to me. Apparently if you have verified Antique Plates (as I do on the rear of my Pagoda) you don't actually have to put the plate on the car. You can have nothing, or anything at all! As long as you keep the original Antique Plate in your car, and you MUST show it to ANYONE who asks, not just law enforcement.

So one of these days, I may just get ersatz 1969 NC plate saying PAGODA, or move the front plate to the rear. Haven't given it too much thought though...
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2022, 19:38:20 »
Alex' rear plate claims that the car is registered in the canton of Ticino, Switzerland.
Or, if in his state it is widely known that plates on vintage cars don't necessarily mean anything (as Michael explained is the case in some US states), a nice adornment of the SL.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Amy McKenna

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Regular
  • USA, PA, Coatesville
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2022, 21:04:58 »
I applaud all of you in helping Alex in his time of need! Thank you Satish for flying down and Michael for all your behind the scenes support!

We all continue to think of you Alex as it can happen to any one of us!
Amy
'58 220S Cabriolet
'67 230 SL
'12 ML350

H. Keith Henry

• Regular
  • USA, VA, Yorktown, Va
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2022, 02:55:44 »
North Carolina sounds like a fun place to be for plates.
1970 280 SL, auto, US spec, 050 white with burgundy interior and soft top. Originally special order, white on white on white tex. Manufacturing date May 1970
2002 Mercedes C320 wagon
1989 Honda Civic wagon

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2022, 21:28:24 »
I guess Maine is finally stopping their practice of allowing anything on personal plates.  They allowed all kinds of vulgarities.  I'll let you google it.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1980 450SL
1966 230SL

teahead

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, WA, Des Moines
  • aka "Rob"
1970 280SL auto, AC - aka "Edelweiss"

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2022, 22:35:42 »
Good thing they make replacement sheetmetal

The car's bodywork will be executed by Motorwerks Group in Commerce Michigan. The premier supplier of sheet metal parts for the Pagoda is K&K, also in Michigan, though the other side of the state.
Obtaining sheet metal isn't the issue...it's actually working the sheet metal, and Motorwerks is well experienced in Pagodas.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

zoegrlh

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Williamsburg
  • Beauty from top BCW
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2023, 15:27:27 »
Speaking of Va antique plates Keith, I have German plates from Heidelberg on front, and Va 1970 plate on rear. Rear plate is registered as my antique plate. Should have one on front as law requires, but decided to use Heidelberg plate. If ever stopped by police for not having front antique plate (which I have stowed in trunk), I just tell you hem I’m returning from classic car event and forgot to remove the Heidelberg plate. Being that you are driving a classic car, not too much concern from police about front plates. I have had the Heidelberg plate on car for 25 years, no stops as of yet. Keith, I noticed you are using current Va plates. You should change to antique plates, much cheaper.
Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

W113, 1970 280SL, Red leather 242 on Silver Gray Met. 180, 4-speed stick, Euro spec, restored
R172 2012 SLK350, Black Premium leather 801 on Mars Red 590, 7-speed auto
W211, 2007 E320 Bluetec, Cashmere MB Tex 144 on Arctic White 650, 7 speed auto

H. Keith Henry

• Regular
  • USA, VA, Yorktown, Va
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2023, 22:08:52 »
Bob, if I change to Virginia antique plates can I keep "Pagoda" on them?
2002 Mercedes C320 wagon
1989 Honda Civic wagon