Author Topic: Heater core removal 280SL  (Read 1281 times)

BLTZKRG

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, CA, Pleasanton
Heater core removal 280SL
« on: November 21, 2022, 19:43:05 »
Do I need to remove the AC on my 1970 280SL in order to remove the heater core, in other words disconnect the pipes and remove the unit from under the dashboard?
I have read the technical articles and it doesn't say anything about that, that I can find!

Thanks
Ian

BLTZKRG

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, CA, Pleasanton
Re: Heater core removal 280SL
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 20:41:23 »
I removed the AC and I'm almost there now, I dod see however, that the big black vents that go to the lower screen are all damaged at the base, the flap mount areas are broken off
Does anyone make replacement of these pieces

Thanks

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2022, 21:54:22 »
Wow, 58 minutes between "do I need to do this" and "I did this".  You're not one for waiting around!!   :D  I like it.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1980 450SL
1966 230SL

BLTZKRG

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, CA, Pleasanton
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2022, 03:39:44 »
Sadly no choice but to remove the AC system from under the dash, a simple job after that to remove the other pieces and drop down the heater core
 I can at least now replace the broken flap on the drivers side, have the radiator rodded out at Pankey's in Hayward, I'll post the cost tomorrow when I collect it...the long metal plate was loose at one end, also one of the mounting brackets had completely broken free.

teahead

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, WA, Des Moines
  • aka "Rob"
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2022, 19:41:40 »
The AC unit is probably the easiest thing to remove for heater core removal.

Unfortunately it gets way more difficult from there.  I'm not looking forward to this job as my blower is shot, so might as well replace the core too while I'm at it.

I.e. replace with new as much as you can while you have everyhthing out.  Don't want to do this all over again.
1970 280SL auto, AC - aka "Edelweiss"