Author Topic: replacement keys  (Read 1890 times)

zak

• Silver
  • USA, NJ, Bernardsville
replacement keys
« on: November 11, 2022, 21:01:37 »
Myself being a genius,  I had misplaced the original set of keys for my baby blue 250sl.
I know they are somewhere in my home and hope to locate some day.
Luckily about 20 years ago I made copies of the ignition and trunk keys ( to safeguard the originals ! ) and that's what I have been using.

I saw a mention of replacement keys on here - via the Classic Center using the key numbers on my data card.
So I contacted them , was asked to send a copy of the data card and sure enough I just received the 3 keys for a mere  $ 55. US plus shipping.

The 2 small keys seem to be cut on the original , all metal " Ymos " key blanks. The larger ignition key unfortunately came with the later rubber top.
It's pouring rain here in NJ, so I can't venture out  to my remote garage to test them, but will tomorrow.

I was wondering how the keys are cut. Do you think that my key numbers are fed into a computer that produces an "original"  cut key, or do you think it is cut using another key to make a " copy " like you get at the hardware store ?

Anyway, I thought it was a bargain and pass it on.

jz

1967 250 SL
1983 280 SL
2015 ML 250 Bluetec
2007 ML CDI
2004 E 320 Wagon
1999 E300 Turbodiesel

Pinder

• Gold
  • USA, NJ, Edison
Re: replacement keys
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2022, 21:46:42 »
Thanks Zak for sharing.   I only have one key and was going to see if I could take it to any locksmith but maybe this is a better option.
1970 280 SL Light Ivory DB 670. 4 Speed manual shift no AC Limited Slip Diff.

specracer

• Senior
  • USA, MA, Duxbury
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2022, 13:54:19 »
I too have ordered keys from the classic center. This was you have a new cut key, vs a ground copy from a locksmith

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2022, 00:19:29 »
For my Pagoda, I went to a small locksmith in Amsterdam. He managed to cut new keys off the codes that were on the old keys. It was all 'in his system' somehow, I was truly amazed.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Blissjoy

• Junior Level
  • USA, OR, Beavercreek
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 18:25:15 »
Years ago I was able to make a duplicate at a locksmith of all but the glove box key. For some reason that was unavailable. I do not have a data card for my vehicle. I do have the one (and only one) glove box key. Any other recommendations on sources?  I’m in Oregon

Leester

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Lorton
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2022, 19:15:12 »
Key blanks are available on Ebay but I think you need your key codes (from your data card). Its also possible that the description in the Tech Manual is enough to identify the right key blank. See https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Interior/Locks. With the keys you have, a correct key blank and a file you might just be able to cut your own key. There have also been previous posts.  Lee
Lee Backus
1963 220SE Cabriolet
1970 280SL (reassembling - hopefully soon)
1978 450SL (disassembled for paint)
1985 500SEC

BobH

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, MALDON
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2022, 20:25:51 »
Years ago I was able to make a duplicate at a locksmith of all but the glove box key. For some reason that was unavailable. I do not have a data card for my vehicle. I do have the one (and only one) glove box key. Any other recommendations on sources?  I’m in Oregon

Assuming, if you have several keys, you have a 230 or early 250.  The glove box should be the same key as the boot (trunk), so if you have a separate key for the glovebox, the lock may have been changed at some time, in which case a data card may not help

There are companies who say they can reproduce keys from a photo, not sure how successful they are, never needed to do it, there are a few listed under "Classic Car Keys"

One here

http://keys4classics.com/

As Lee says the Tech Manual shows the original blanks that would have been used
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 20:43:20 by BobH »
February 1965 230SL Automatic
UK delivered RHD
Papyrus white, blue hard top & hub caps
Blue soft top
Blue leather

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2022, 20:34:19 »
The 2 small keys seem to be cut on the original , all metal " Ymos " key blanks. The larger ignition key unfortunately came with the later rubber top.

Well...., plastic - not rubber.

Hello Zak,

That is absolutely correct if you own a 250 SL after serial 002979.
Those have the two-sided ignition key with the clipped-on plastic handle.

Best,
Achim

Achim
(Germany)

Swissomatic

• Junior Level
  • USA, SC, Charleston
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2022, 16:29:33 »
Don’t give up. Have an original 1971 280SL with original fuel cap but no key. After a year , taking lock apart, measuring brass tumbler inserts, looking for blanks, replacement tumbler, locksmiths who understood etc., I found the original set of keys under the floor mat under the passenger seat. All is well in the world. 
1971 Automatic S/N 020513
670 Light Ivory
040 Black Pagoda

zak

• Silver
  • USA, NJ, Bernardsville
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2022, 22:40:30 »
Well, i tried the 3 new keys I received from the Classic Center and struck out on all.
None of the 3 keys worked. The ignition and door lock keys fit into the locks but could not turn.
The  key for the trunk and glove box did even fit into the lock.

I contacted the Classic Center and spoke to another sales associate who asked that I send a close up photo of the new keys next to my original copies.
I sent the photo and the fellow emails back that he could tell from the photo that the new keys didn't match ( don't ask me how he could tell from the photo?).
He said he is ordering a new set cut from my data card info. So I am waiting to receive them.

I have no faith that these new ones will work either. I will keep you all posted.
Pessimistically yours,

jz
1967 250 SL
1983 280 SL
2015 ML 250 Bluetec
2007 ML CDI
2004 E 320 Wagon
1999 E300 Turbodiesel

lreppond

• Gold
  • USA, CA, San Leandro
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2022, 23:07:30 »
Let’s hope they get this straightened out for you.  I purchased replacement keys (3 master and 3 valet keys) from the Classic Center and all worked just fine.  The plastic tops are crap but the keys work as they were intended. 

The one thing about ordering off a data card on a car with previous owners, is that you don't know if locks have been changed.  Could this be what the problem is with yours? 

~Len

1971 280 SL
576G red/251 Beige
4 speed manual
Family owned since new (father —> son)

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2022, 14:26:16 »
I am a little lost here. As long as you have the correct blank, any hardware store will cut you the right key. Even my BMW motorcycle dealer cuts keys as they sell blanks for ignition and luggage locks. I have taken blanks I bought at swap meets to them and they cut keys for My R100S and my K1.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2022, 15:58:00 »
There IS an issue with cutting keys, but not the one most people think about: what material are the key blanks?  Most keys and key blanks in North America are brass, while most keys and key blanks in Europe are steel.  So, there are very few lock smiths and hardware stores on this side of the pond who have the kind of cutting wheels that can handle steel key blanks.  Cutting even one steel key with a brass key blank cutting wheel will ruin the cutting wheel, which can cost $$$ to replace.  The original keys for my 230SL are steel, but the key blanks available here are all of the softer brass or aluminum variety.  Those focused on originality at all costs will try to order original key blanks from Europe, only to find that they can't find anyone on this side of the pond who can cut their keys.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

zak

• Silver
  • USA, NJ, Bernardsville
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2022, 22:15:43 »
Len, you are correct and the locks on my multi owner euro pagoda may have been changed. We will see when the Classic Center staff reconfirms. The fact that the CC staffer identified differences in my keys to the new CC data card keys just from the photo gives me a bit of hope. I will know soon enough.

Mike S, I have working copies of the keys, but they are only my local locksmith copies as I have misplaced what I believe is the original set. The idea of have new originals from the Classic Center off my data card  intrigued me so I thought it was worth a try. 

Let's see how it plays out.

jz
1967 250 SL
1983 280 SL
2015 ML 250 Bluetec
2007 ML CDI
2004 E 320 Wagon
1999 E300 Turbodiesel