Author Topic: What should the oil pressure be for a hot engine at tickover?  (Read 2413 times)

felicitydavis1556

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, FL, Spring Hill
Tips To Get The Most Out Of Your Vacuum Cleaner

The vacuum cleaner has become indispensable equip in any house due to its replacement of both broom and mop. It saves time, and it performs very well to clean every niche in our house. Though you might have used it for a long time, you might not have been sure whether you’ve been using used it right or not, for the way you use any appliance is the most important factor that affects its age, productivity, and energy cost.

Nowadays, the improvement of technology allows us to do more with the vacuum cleaner than ever before. To correctly operate a vacuum cleaner and get the most out of it, here are some top tips for you to apply in your daily household chores:

1) Work horizontally

Read more: https://about.me/wikivacuumcleaners

It’s obvious that you can take the vacuum cleaner wherever it is dirty or dusty, whether following a horizontal route or a circular one. However, if you want your house’s floor to be cleaner and have all corners covered, you should work horizontally, starting from one corner of the house to another corner for a couple of times. This way helps you to avoid going over one spot over and over.

2) Check the bag

It seems like this is might be an obvious tip, but many people overlook this, as they assume that their vacuum cleaner has strong suction power. Regardless of its ability, every bag has a limited capacity. If the bag is full, even half-full, or holey or worn down, the vacuum cleaner’s performance will flag, leading to unexceptional results. Check the bag regularly, and better yet, every time you use it. Replace it with a new one if it is too old.

3) Use the attachments correctly

The vacuum cleaner has different attachment heads, and it’s very important to learn when to which. The instruction manual should explain everything that is specific to a single model of vacuum cleaner. If you forget how to use these cleaning aids, just read it again thoroughly. It doesn’t waste your time but saves your time, as all dirt and dust will be removed easily with the suitable attachment head.

✶✶✶ Useful reference: Best vacuum cleaner brands

4) Avoid the large debris

Many people just vacuum everything into the bag without taking note of what it includes, not taking into account whether they are damaging their cleaner or not. One of the killers of your vacuum cleaner is large debris. It possibly gets the nozzle of the vacuum cleaner stuck and the motor damaged. Don’t vacuum all of the debris at one time; first pick up or sweep away the big objects, and then vacuum the rest, lest you have to buy a new High Priced Vacuum Cleaners.

As you know, vacuum cleaners nowadays are manufactured with various models, sizes, colors, and functions. It’s not easy to choose the right one for your own needs. You may need some references before bringing one home. Go to Amazon.com, where you can find the best vacuum cleaners on the market today on the Amazon products list, their best of products, and Amazon customer reviews. This is the reliable source of reference for people around the world, and it will be yours too. And don’t forget to apply these useful tips when cleaning house with your vacuum cleaner.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 10:29:42 by felicitydavis1556 »

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: What should the oil pressure be for a hot engine at tickover?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2022, 06:30:19 »
Tickover?
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2022, 08:17:29 »
Idle…

IIRC, the rpm and so pressure is different in gear vs neutral (Auto).
« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 09:03:57 by JamesL »
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

BobH

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, MALDON
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2022, 08:42:53 »
What should the oil pressure be for a hot engine at tickover?

At tickover or idle my car sits at about 30psi, but i've read that this can drop to 15psi, it depends on how much wear has taken place in the engine.  A new or refurbished engine will have a higher oil pressure than a worn engine.  It seems to be more important that the oil pressure under revs should be max on the dial @ 45psi and maintain this, rather than what it drops to at idle

There's more written in the technical manual, see the link top left, but you need to be a full member to access it, well worth it if you own or work on one of these cars

PS: assume you're asking about a W113, you didn't say what car, this may be different for other cars
« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 10:05:07 by BobH »
February 1965 230SL Automatic
UK delivered RHD
Papyrus white, blue hard top & hub caps
Blue soft top
Blue leather

Sead

• Vendor
  • Senior
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina, Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2022, 17:49:53 »
M127 has at idle when warm not less than 2,7-2,8 bar. When drivin always 3bar
Rebuild engine.
1964 230SL

BobH

• Gold
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2022, 18:18:42 »
As far as i can work out. 2.7 bar equates to 39PSI, I would normally bow to the experience and expertise of talented restorers such as yourself, the recent pictures of the early car you restored were sublime, however, many owners and other restorers on this forum agree that the readings from my car are quite normal and acceptable, and the engine does not need rebuilding. 
UK delivered RHD
Blue soft top
Blue leather

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2022, 21:47:51 »
1 bar equals close to 15.35 PSI
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2022, 23:22:00 »
My engine runs 3 bar at all times, even at hot idle. I used a high volume oil pump when I built it about 25 years ago - it could be a pump from a M110 engine.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2022, 00:30:40 »
Oil temperature will change your oil pressure quite a bit also. After a brisk highway drive in warm weather you may see a lower oil pressure at an idle.   Slightly declining oil pressure on a high mileage engine over time can be normal. A sudden change in your normal oil pressure can be signs of a problem.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

BobH

• Gold
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2022, 08:40:27 »
It would be interesting to see what other owner's engines idle at with 80K plus miles.  This extract from the Tech Manual again states that lower pressure at idle isn't a concern and is normal with wear

The service manual say oil pressure should be in the range of 2-6 atu (29.4-88.2psi). The gauge on the dash always reads 45psi even at idle it never moves off. I was told that once the car comes to idle (hot) the gauge should read about 15psi. So that’s why I am questioning whether my oil pressure is reading high or should I just not worry about it?

Will: I believe that the oil pressure CAN read 15 psi, hot, at idle, but does NOT have to. Not dropping below 45 psi at any time indicates that the internal parts of the engine are not showing any wear. Oil pressure is generated by the oil pump, relief valves, crankshaft main bearing clearance, crankshaft rod bearing clearance, camshaft bearing clearance. The evidence indicates that none of these areas is significantly worn. You mention the service manual gives a range of 29.4-88.2 psi, but then you were told the oil pressure should be 15 psi. These figures contradict each other. (FYI 15 psi is acceptable for an engine with moderate internal wear, hot, at idle, and is nothing to worry about either, even though it is below the normal 29.4 psi. The technical data manual states: "Operating safety of the warmed-up engine will not be jeopardized as long as the oil pressure at idle speed will not drop below 0.5kp/cm (squared) and will raise immediately upon acceleration." 0.5 kp/cm = 7 psi. Unless there is more to the story I feel your oil pressure is OK and you should not worry.

I wonder if someone can help with this follow-up question on oil pressure. At idle, with car in gear, my oil pressure gauge is no longer "pegged" to the maximum level of 45, but drops to between 30 and 40. Is this normal for idle (700 rpm) when the car is in gear and thus under load? I use Mobil 1 10w 30. Oil pressure is fully pegged at maximum at normal driving speed. Any damage with the oil pressure dropping this low?

I've always heard that it's normal for the pressue needle to be in the middle of the gauge at idle.

This sounds quite typical and not abnormal. The gauge should peg upon giving it gas. I wouldn't worry much at this point.
UK delivered RHD
Blue soft top
Blue leather

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2022, 21:24:21 »
Oil pumps create volume, tight bearings create the pressure. Oil pressure can drop at idle but should be full on your gauge by at least 1,500 RPM.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2022, 22:02:29 »
Even with the same oil viscosity,  the type and brand of oil can make a minor difference in oil pressure. Less friction is less engine heat, and less engine heat is more oil pressure.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

BobH

• Gold
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2022, 22:18:13 »
My car with about 80K miles pegs (what does that even mean?) at just over 1000rpm

Thanks for the comments
UK delivered RHD
Blue soft top
Blue leather

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2022, 01:53:16 »
I suspect your oil pressure is fine Bob.  A sudden decrease in your normal oil pressure can be a sign of problems soon. Adequate and consistent oil pressure is good. Extremely cold temperatures, extremely hot temperatures and extended periods of very high rpms may cause some temporary, minor changes in oil pressure. If you are still nervous about your engine health, you can have periodic oil analysis done.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback