Author Topic: Search for a Working Clock (non-Quartz) in Working Condition  (Read 2960 times)

tarheel

• Inactive
  • Junior Level
  • USA, NJ, MULLICA HILL
Hi .  My pop and I have removed the non-working clock in my 1969 280SL.

We sent the old clock out for repair and have been told a failed Quartz conversion had been attempted in the past, and therefore the clock is current not repairable.

Therefore we are seeking an original clock in excellent condition that is "plug and play" into our restoration.

I reside in NJ USA.

Please reach out to me if you have a working clock that wants a good home in our restoration.  Not for a flip it will remain in our family.

Thank you!

cabrioletturbo

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Canada, Ontario, Ottawa
Re: Search for a Working Clock (non-Quartz) in Working Condition
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2022, 05:16:32 »
may have a spare. how quickly do you need it?
Igor
1965 W113 230SL, Ivory with Black

teahead

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, WA, Des Moines
  • aka "Rob"
1970 280SL auto, AC - aka "Edelweiss"

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2022, 20:34:02 »
The Mechatechnic one seems to be a quartz type.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 21:16:46 »
We sent the old clock out for repair and have been told a failed Quartz conversion had been attempted in the past, and therefore the clock is current not repairable.

This is mighty peculiar. A "failed" quartz conversion? A quartz conversion on these clocks basically removes all the insides completely, saving the case, the hands, the face and bezel. The "outsides" as it were. Then inside the now completely empty case, they place a quartz movement. These movements are made by the millions and placed in all kinds of things; I cannot tell you how may decorative clocks I've had around my home all with the same movement in them. In the case of the Pagoda clock, it's not the same as these, but a smaller movement.

The two better known places for quartz conversion would be North Hollywood Speedometer https://www.nhspeedometer.com and Palo Alto Speedometer http://www.paspeedo.com. Others you may try include Seattle Speedometer http://seattlespeedometer.com Southern Electronics https://www.instrumentclusters.com/clock-repair. There are probably some others out there as well.

There are two distinct camps here; the absolute purists who will live with the inherent and incurable inaccuracy of the original clock (a Rube Goldberg contraption if there ever was one) so they can listen to the mechanical noise it makes as it is electronically wound now and then (without caring whether or not it's ever accurate) and claim originality, and those who have converted theirs to quartz.

Though it was a different time and space, I converted mine (Palo Alto did the work) back in 1999-2000 and it's kept perfect time since then. I did this upon the recommendation of Palo Alto. Even then they had determined that trying to make these clocks work (new Pagoda owners had the audacity to expect the restored and "working" clocks to actually keep time; too many callbacks I guess) was a fool's errand. I delivered a box full of nasty looking instruments to them, and they returned the set six weeks later looking brand new. Have not worried about the clock in the past two decades and all the other instruments have been fine as well.

It may be difficult to find someone who will actually work on the original clock and attempt functional restoration for you. If they do, don't expect it to keep time accurately...

PS: For those too young to remember, or perhaps non-Americans, Rube Goldberg is known for his cartoons that depict very complicated gadgets and machinery performing very simple tasks in indirect, complex, Byzantine ways. The cartoons created the term "Rube Goldberg machines" to describe related gadgets and processes...and the Kienzle clock for the Pagoda is one such example.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 14:59:06 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Memmo

• Associate Member
  • Regular
  • Germany,
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2022, 22:02:22 »
Hi,
the first one from Belgium is not original, it is an aftermarket one.

I think the second also.

Regards Memmo