Author Topic: Headlight replacement  (Read 1943 times)

PaulB

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • United Kingdom, England, London
Headlight replacement
« on: October 21, 2022, 20:28:25 »
I need to change both my headlights, they work but the chrome has worn away and they are not very bright. I have seen replacements available but they are for LHD and my car is RHD. Is it only the glass lens that makes them left or right hand drive or is the fitting holding the bulbs totally different. I’m thinking it just the class lens.

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
Re: Headlight replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2022, 21:01:56 »
Paul,

Welcome to the Group

It is only the glass lens that angles the beam to the left for the RHD cars.

If you are going to replate the reflectors, they need to be silver plated for the light not chromed which does not reflect the brightness needed.  Otherwise you can buy replacement lenses from most of the regular suppliers listed in the Tech Manual

Can i suggest you join as a Full Member and then have full access to the wealth of information here on the Site as well as access to all the past Pagoda Notes and receive the biannual Pagoda World magazine.
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

AdelaidePagoda

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Australia, South Australia, Adelaide
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2022, 23:08:23 »
If you are looking for safety and are not too concerned about keeping it 100% original, consider upgrading to LED bulbs. Absolutely game changing for driving at night as the original golf ball style halogen bulbs and dull silver reflectors are dangerous if you do a lot of night driving. In Australia we have kangaroos and wallabies on the roads at night.
Easy job to do and easy to change back for car shows or the next owner. See the photo for the difference.

Dave Cleghorn
January 1964 230SL 4SPD Power Steering
050 050 Black Soft top, Red Leather interior
Italian delivered/ Germany/ Florida/ Boston/ Sydney/ Adelaide (5th owner)

Model S Tesla
Vespa

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

lreppond

• Gold
  • USA, CA, San Leandro
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2022, 23:10:50 »
Michael

Did you (or anyone else) use these Holley lamps?  Do they require an adaptor for hookup or are they plug and play.  Did you go with classic or modern bright?   Looks like a really quality product.
~Len

1971 280 SL
576G red/251 Beige
4 speed manual
Family owned since new (father —> son)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2022, 23:12:28 »
Michael

Did you (or anyone else) use these Holley lamps?  Do they require an adaptor for hookup or are they plug and play.  Did you go with classic or modern bright?   Looks like a really quality product.

While I've considered updating, I just don't drive at night. Last time I drove my Pagoda at night was many years ago, leaving a PUB just a little too late and the last 2 hours or so were at night...
These things only make sense if you are a regular night driver (not me) or have money to burn.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Baybear

• Regular
  • USA, VA, Midlothian
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2022, 15:44:55 »
I put these Holley sealed beam LEDs on my Volkswagon beetle using the modern white. They are plug and play, very bright with a sharp cutoff pattern. Will be going on the Pagoda next. See attached picture of the light.
Will
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 22:18:44 by Baybear »
Will Milby
1970 300SEL 6.3, 1971 280SL, 1972 300SEL 4.5, 1972 Super Beetle, 1998 SL500, 2010 350 GLK, 2012 SLS AMG

PaulB

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • United Kingdom, England, London
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2022, 09:27:16 »
Thanks to everyone for your reply, I do think the brighter LEDs are the way to go just for safety. So many times, I've been out and about late at night and struggled to see. however, I will have to put this project on hold for a time because I now have a more pressing issue with overheating, the car seems to be running too rich after warming up and the revs are too high sitting in traffic.

Merc_Girl

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, Godalming
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2022, 22:38:46 »
Definitely agree that you should go for LED lamps/bulbs. These are significantly brighter than the current lamps:bulbs. As you are in UK, I thoroughly recommend classic car legs ltd, they are very helpful
https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/

I am currently considering having the reflectors re-silvered, rather than buying replacements. I’m still not convinced that current reproductions are made to the same standards. If you ever watched  Drew Pritchard Classic Cars, they had some lamps re-silvered by a company in the jewellery quarter of Birmingham, Genius of the Lamp; https://www.geniusofthelamp.co.uk/
230SL