Author Topic: (Automatic Gear Shift not workiing  (Read 1001 times)

benzwallah

• Junior Level
  • USA, VA, ALEXANDRIA
(Automatic Gear Shift not workiing
« on: October 16, 2022, 14:09:43 »
Hello all - I hope you may have advice for how to fix a stick shift on a 1965 230 SL.  It is an Automatic.  Here's the problem:

- the car ran well, but recently the shifting was a bit abrupt, at times going into Neutral before shifting up
-  after parking the car for an hour the other day, I started it up and when I put it in Drive it went backward.  I shut off the engine.
-  after re-starting it, the shift did not work at all.  It appears to be completely disengaged from the transmission.   While engine is running, the shift goes from Park all the way up to 2 without doing anything.

Thank you very much for any advice on how I might address this, or advice for a good mechanic. 

Benzwallah   (Alexandria, Virginia, U.S.)

benzwallah
1965 230 SL  
silver w/navy blue soft top, grey hard top

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: (Automatic Gear Shift not workiing
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2022, 14:30:58 »
There may be more than one thing going on, but most likely it is the shifter linkage bushings. Use the search function and you will get a lot of good information on what to do next.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

BobH

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, MALDON
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2022, 14:35:00 »
Hello, most information is on here, if you use the search button above left, or click on and search the technical manual, it's just a case of using the correct search words

The link below sounds like a similar problem, looks easy enough to diagnose from under the car

https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=35506.0

Let us know how you get on, if this isn't the problem, someone with more experience will advise
February 1965 230SL Automatic
UK delivered RHD
Papyrus white, blue hard top & hub caps
Blue soft top
Blue leather

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2022, 14:41:03 »
PM sent.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

benzwallah

• Junior Level
  • USA, VA, ALEXANDRIA
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2022, 17:02:14 »
Thanks to all three of you!  The link was very helpful and I will continue to search existing material in the Forum using key words.  Again, most grateful - like Essey noted earlier, I am one of those not mechanically gifted.  Will report back on the outcome.  benzwallah
benzwallah
1965 230 SL  
silver w/navy blue soft top, grey hard top