Author Topic: Rear view mirror ‘arm’  (Read 1308 times)

Merc_Girl

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, Godalming
Rear view mirror ‘arm’
« on: October 02, 2022, 22:02:30 »
Hi everyone

A question for you all

So, at our latest little pagoda gathering, Ace Cafe, a query was raised over the length of the ‘arm’ for the rear view mirror.

I’ve seen discussion around the chrome case for the mirror in earlier pagodas, where later cars had black plastic. However we had a selection of 230sl’s, some of which had longer arms for their mirrors than others.

I’ve looked at pictures of the period and it’s very difficult to tell from these the arm length. The tech manual doesn’t appear to mention any difference in the mirror arms.

I’m wondering if someone may have the answer, or could it be the case that if they happened to run out of one design on a production line, they substituted a rear view mirror for another model?

With thanks once again
230SL

DavidAPease

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Chico
Re: Rear view mirror ‘arm’
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2022, 22:26:36 »
Hi, Katie,

This thread has some comments from Joe A. on the comparative length of a 113 stem versus a sedan, and a measurement claimed to be from a 113 mirror (~4") that matches the length of the stem on my '66 230SL (measured along the longest angle of the stem).

https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=35429.0

Hope this help shed some light...

-David
-David Pease
 '66 230SL (Originally sold in Paris)

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2022, 06:47:35 »
Thanks David

Yes I saw this but wasn’t sure if the comments were correct as usually a few others comment when ‘correctness’ of items.

I’ll have a wee measure of mine to compare.
230SL

Klaus Pieper

• Regular
  • South Africa, KwaZulu-Natal, Westville
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2022, 12:12:14 »
Hi Katie,

My October 1965 230 SL has a chrome mirror with a stem length of 110mm or 4.33". The measurement from the base of the stem to the bottom edge of the mirror is also 110mm.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2022, 13:04:21 »
So, at our latest little pagoda gathering, Ace Cafe, a query was raised over the length of the ‘arm’ for the rear view mirror.
...could it be the case that if they happened to run out of one design on a production line, they substituted a rear view mirror for another model?

In the era we are currently in with shortages of about anything and everything at inopportune times with little to no relationship to the pandemic, it is entirely possible to believe that in the middle of production if one part was unavailable or in short supply, another was substituted. (shortages are nothing new).  You don't shut down a production line for want of a part. You put something there.

This is also the exact kind of situation in the parts world today where more than one part is "consolidated" into one part even if the match isn't exact. Some years back I bought a new passenger side door pull for my 280SL. It was listed as available, and I got it through Mercedes-Benz as an official part. However, what came was NOT the right part; the door pull for a 280SL is symmetric, with both sides identical and the chrome caps identical. What MB sent me was an asymmetrical model, with one of the chrome caps having a curve and cutout on it, to [probably] wrap around an arm rest or something on a sedan. It was NOT the same as a 280SL door pull. Similarly, my attempt to buy an official oil filler dip stick from MB gave me some completely bizarre dipstick for which I have yet to figure out what it's for--certainly not a 280SL. Today, read the thread on battery, where a different battery is being delivered.

On my own car, I have "incorrect" wiper arms that are 1" longer than those initially delivered; I found this matching set at a PUB once from a guy who had dozens of them. Some were clearly too long and wouldn't work, there was only one in the "correct" size, and it was a challenge but I found two of the smallest ones I could get. They work fine...
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2022, 13:23:52 »
Ah ha, so my thinking may be right 😁

Measured(with quite some difficulty) the ‘arm’ length and the measurements do seem to align with the length that Klaus mentioned, but I think David mentioned 4”. Perhaps again depends where one measures from.
Mine was certainly shorter than some of my illustrious fellow pagoda owners. As their cars are slightly later, perhaps the issue with rear view mirror supply was greater 😁
230SL