Author Topic: FRONT SUBFRAME BUSHINGS, MOTOR MOUNTS / replacement  (Read 826 times)

Bshaunessy

• Regular
  • Canada, British Columbia, Invermere
  • 1957 190 SL; 1970 280 SL; 1975 450 SL; 1971 300 SE
FRONT SUBFRAME BUSHINGS, MOTOR MOUNTS / replacement
« on: October 02, 2022, 14:11:35 »
SL  COMMUNITY:
  Hoping for some clarity on process to replace front subframe bushings (2) and motor mounts (2) as I’ve tried, unsuccessfully.   (1970 280 SL).  NB: I have studiously read and studied every post RE subframe bushings…..main issue is insufficient clearance between body and front spring to get old busing out ( and new one in!)

MY PROCESS:
(1) car on hoist, supported by body at the four subframe to body lift points.  Wheels off.
(1.5) engine supported independently using transmission Jack and wood blocking.
(2) working just one side at a time, started with drivers (left) side
(3) undid shock absorber
(4) undid subframe bushings "bump" plate (4 x m8 bolts)
(5) undid subframe bushing centre bolt (17mm…. Had to use impact gun /WD 40….very rusty…time to replace!)
(6) At this point, can access old subframe bushing at top of spring BUT insufficient room to worm bushing out  of gap between spring and the receiving body panel.    I need entire subframe to drop about 1 1/2” further?

( NB : I quit, in frustration ,at this point and bolted everything back together pending advice on this forum)

So…when I get to step (6) next attempt and need more clearance:
(A) can I remove entire spring assembly and provide clearance that way?
OR
(B): I think, if I have engine supported independently ( as I do):
* remove both motor mounts which will disconnect engine from subframe and hopefully allow subframe to drop the required 1 1/2” ( need to support subframe with another engine Jack .  At this point, subframe will be fully disconnected drivers side but still attached by left subframe mount and shock absorber.  Jack under subframe mount DS is to prevent any surprises.

OR
(C): keeping engine supported, remove entire subframe ( must disconnect brakes and a lot of the steering mechanism….a huge job!).   I do have to get at motor mounts to replace as well as part of this job.

HELP PLS……..DOOR # (A); #(B) or (;pls no!) #(C)

BTW: once successfully completed, I promise to document clearly with pictures the entire process.   My Haynes manual is rather vague and can’t seem to find relevant part in BBB.

Bshaunessy

• Regular
  • Canada, British Columbia, Invermere
  • 1957 190 SL; 1970 280 SL; 1975 450 SL; 1971 300 SE
Re: FRONT SUBFRAME BUSHINGS, MOTOR MOUNTS / replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2022, 22:58:57 »
Adding back up photos to post above:
(1) car on hoist ( boy I’m glad I have that hoist)
(2) front DS spring with subframe bushing at top
(3) close up of subframe bushing
(4) NEW subframe bushing waiting to be placed into new home….somehow