Author Topic: Slip joint Heyco 300  (Read 2774 times)

lreppond

• Gold
  • USA, CA, San Leandro
Slip joint Heyco 300
« on: August 24, 2022, 21:13:06 »
Which of these is the correct style for a toolkit for a ‘71 model w113 (build date 11/70)?
~Len

1971 280 SL
576G red/251 Beige
4 speed manual
Family owned since new (father —> son)

Lew

• Junior Level
  • USA, CO, BOULDER
Re: Slip joint Heyco 300
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2022, 22:25:56 »
My 280 was also manufactured in 11/70.  Here's a photo.  The car has been in the family since '72 so I think this is OEM,,,

Lew
'71 280sl
'54 Corvette

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 15:33:45 »
Most interesting. I was under the impression that the later cars had the oval shaped jaws for the slip joint pliers. However, I do not have a definition for what is "late" and what is "early"

I tried a quick search and did not find a definite change point.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

lreppond

• Gold
  • USA, CA, San Leandro
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 16:15:13 »
My toolkit was missing the slip joint pliers (of course, they’re the hardest item to find!).  I’ve purchased a few off eBay and all three are slightly different. Their finish, head shape, where the star is located and one even has Mercedes-Benz embossed on the upper jaw.  It seems like cars like mine which were the end of the production run for the model had a hodgepodge of different things in an attempt to use up these parts.  So I’m not really sure if there’s a definitive answer to my question?   
~Len

1971 280 SL
576G red/251 Beige
4 speed manual

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2022, 22:41:56 »
Unfortunately, the pictures you submitted do not show the part numbers of the several adjustable pliers presented for verification.

During post-war DBAG production, a pair of adjustable pliers was supplied in many automotive tool kits. Sourced from a variety of manufacturers and bearing different markings and logos, the part number for such pliers was 000 581 01 38 regardless of changes in manufacturer, finish, markings, logo placement or jaw configuration. DBAG was not particular about these details as long as a pair of pliers was available for each tool kit nor did it keep track of when a specific product went in or out of supply.

The attached picture shows several examples supplied as original equipment during the 1950s and the 1960s, all under part number 000 581 01 38.  This same part number continued well into the 1970s and perhaps beyond, well after the outer finish of the pliers had been changed to the silver with which we are all so familiar. This part number is often found embossed into one handle of the silver pliers together with the Mercedes star logo.  The other handle carries the words "HEYCO" and "Germany."  The best anyone can do to determine originality is to attempt a consensus from other owners as to how their cars were equipped.

Remember, the words "always" and "never" should not be used when discussing authenticity.

lreppond

• Gold
  • USA, CA, San Leandro
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2022, 02:23:41 »
ejboyd5,
I have four silver and and one black pair of these slip joint pliers.  All have embossed 3 point stars, marked Heyco no. 300 w-Germany, one has Mercedes-Benz embossed on the upper jaw and all have “Vanadium chrom” on the reverse side of the handle.  None of mine have any part number to be found anywhere! 

Your description of how DB handled the parts of their toolkits seems very practical.  I will never know exactly what was included in my original toolkit with respect to the jaw design of these pliers.  So consensus seems the only reasonable alternative.
~Len

1971 280 SL
576G red/251 Beige
4 speed manual

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2022, 10:44:15 »
Len:  Please post pictures of both sides of the black pliers so I may try to identify same.  I have several examples of the silver pliers appropriate for your era but as discussed there is no way of telling exactly what may have come with your car.

lreppond

• Gold
  • USA, CA, San Leandro
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2022, 13:46:37 »
Here’s some pix of the black pair.  Funny story: I saw these offered online and figured they were silver ones but just needed cleaning, so I purchased them.  Of course I was wrong and several members pointed this out.  I was told these were used on the Adenauer but I don’t have a clue.

The backside is stamped “chrom vanadium” and no stock number is to be found. 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 14:00:15 by lreppond »
~Len

1971 280 SL
576G red/251 Beige
4 speed manual

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2022, 16:31:20 »
Thanks.  Possibly Adenauer. Definitely pre 230/250/280 series. PM sent.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2022, 18:16:35 »
Here’s some pix of the black pair.

Have them nickel or chrome plated. I promise I won’t tell anybody.

There is nothing wrong with that. Spot welds are duplicated when they weren’t there. Drips are intentionally added to the underside of a hood re-spray. Yellow paint blobs are able to emulate torque marks. New batteries are made to look like old… The list goes on.

… so what’s wrong with adding  a proper finish on to a set of pliers?
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

lreppond

• Gold
  • USA, CA, San Leandro
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2022, 17:57:44 »
I get your point Michael.  Most of us are guilty as charged.  I’ve tarted up (your phrase, not mine!) a Walmart battery, added yellow dots to bolts when new parts were installed, etc. etc.  I guess it’s no different than a furniture refinisher who adds dents and dings to furniture to give it “patina”.   In reality, you can’t duplicate all of nuances of something older and time worn but you can come close. It’s a bit of “who’s kidding who?” I suppose.  As long as you can come close to having these cars look (and function) as they rolled off the assembly line is what counts to me even if that means having to fake a few details. 
~Len

1971 280 SL
576G red/251 Beige
4 speed manual

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2022, 19:05:34 »
I get your point Michael.  Most of us are guilty as charged.  I’ve tarted up (your phrase, not mine!) a Walmart battery, added yellow dots to bolts when new parts were installed, etc. etc.  I guess it’s no different than a furniture refinisher who adds dents and dings to furniture to give it “patina”.   In reality, you can’t duplicate all of nuances of something older and time worn but you can come close. It’s a bit of “who’s kidding who?” I suppose.  As long as you can come close to having these cars look (and function) as they rolled off the assembly line is what counts to me even if that means having to fake a few details.

In the case of the wrench, it isn't nearly as bad as making fake "distressed" furniture, or an ersatz old battery. You are merely adding a slightly different finish onto a wrench. It would be a finish that isn't uncommon on them.

If you were trying to get a newer style wrench that's plated to emulate an older non-plated wrench, then you could easily etch off the plating, and add a "black oxide" finish too.

No different than re-chroming bumpers.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid