Author Topic: Super easy way to find exhaust leaks  (Read 1050 times)

roymil

• Senior
  • USA, TX, Austin
Super easy way to find exhaust leaks
« on: August 18, 2022, 19:36:18 »
I ran across this video (link below) and within 5 minutes found 3 different leaks in my exhaust system.   It was incredibly easy and obvious when you think about it but I'd never seen that method before, so just passing it along to the group in case it helps someone else.    I DO NOT recommend any of the repair techniques for our cars for obvious reasons once you see them, but the method for exactly locating the leak source is safe and easy.   turns out my manifold gasket leaks.

Now I have to find the time to pull it all apart and properly repair.  I am so looking forward to dealing with those non-copper nuts that have been on there at least 40 years.   I know it's that long ago because I remember as a teenager holding the pipes in place while my dad welded.  What I cant remember is why the heck was exhaust work needed on a 10yr old car living in the desert?   I'll just add that to the long list of questions for dad that I've come up with as I resurrect this car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-exs1iMLFU
Mark Miller
1968 280SL
Rode in his pagoda's first mile.

roymil

• Senior
  • USA, TX, Austin
Re: Super easy way to find exhaust leaks
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2022, 21:47:10 »
The cliff notes:  pressurize the cold exhaust system with a shop-vac and squirt a soapy water solution on all the key joints.  bubbles mark the leaks. 
Mark Miller
1968 280SL

Iconic

• Platinum
  • USA, IL, Highland Park
  • ex-Membership Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2022, 14:38:47 »
Nice ! I must admit I have not thought or heard of this before. I'll give it a try on my Camaro ...... some day.  :D
1970 280 SL Automatic, USA version, Grey-Blue (906G/906G), Blue leather (245)
1968 SS396 Camaro Convertible (owned since 1977 -- my first car :D)
1984 Porsche Euro Carrera coupe, LSD, SlateBlueMet/Blue
1998 BMW M-Rdstr Estoril Blue
1970 280 SL Automatic, Anthracite Grey-173G, Red Interior-132 - sold

roymil

• Senior
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 16:34:20 »
Yeah, I've been pretty motivated to find the source of the fuel/exhaust smells inside the car and this method immediately identified the leaks.   There was no evidence of black marks at any of the leak points and I cant hear the leaks either since I ruined my hearing with years around loud engines and rock...worth it, but I do wear ear plugs these days to protect what I have left.
Mark Miller
1968 280SL