Author Topic: From the you’ve got to be kidding department.  (Read 2337 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
From the you’ve got to be kidding department.
« on: August 03, 2022, 12:11:51 »
So, we are stuck in traffic for a little bit yesterday behind a car. I happen to notice the North Carolina license plate and realized that it has characters I’ve never seen on a license plate before. “ hashtags?“ “@“? What’s next, your email address or a URL on your license plate?
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
Re: From the you’ve got to be kidding department.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2022, 12:36:07 »
I am totally ignorant to the concept and use of "hashtag"-whatsoever, but maybe he/she advertises a business? What could @CE stand for?
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

AdelaidePagoda

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Australia, South Australia, Adelaide
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 13:28:29 »
Yes, this is the first time I have seen # and @. They are not allowed in Australia.

The plate reads: #4pe@ce (for peace) ☮️

Cryptic, however a nice message.
Dave Cleghorn
January 1964 230SL 4SPD Power Steering
050 050 Black Soft top, Red Leather interior
Italian delivered/ Germany/ Florida/ Boston/ Sydney/ Adelaide (5th owner)

Model S Tesla
Vespa

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2022, 15:55:43 »
Yes, this is the first time I have seen # and @. They are not allowed in Australia.

The plate reads: #4pe@ce (for peace) ☮️

Cryptic, however a nice message.

First time ever I've seen the @ and # on a license plate. Agreed, @DaveCleghorn, that it says "For Peace" in a cryptic way...probably because the NC license plate FORPEACE or 4PEACE or anything similar wasn't available or allowed. Just asking, is anyone not for peace?

Like Mike Simon, I'm not familiar with their social media use other than the fact that in some instances using the @ as a prefix will automatically bring up a name in your contact list OR in the thread you are talking about. (apparently NOT here however!). As for the # or hashtag as they say, I must admit I'm ignorant on the social media use of that. My life doesn't seem to be missing much so it cannot be THAT important.

[FWIW in the computer world, I used to work for an Israeli company, and their main computer system in graphics used a highly modified version of an HP RTE OS real time operating system on an HP1000 series minicomputer. The prefix for getting the operating system's attention was the @. The Israeli engineers called it "streudel" since it resembled a pastry. Long before the # or number sign was called hashtag by today's generation, it was called octothorpe by telephone engineers; press the # on a phone and it generates a multifrequency tone of 941+1477 Hz]
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2022, 11:26:02 »
I'm not familiar with their social media use other than the fact that in some instances using the @ as a prefix will automatically bring up a name in your contact list OR in the thread you are talking about. (apparently NOT here however!).

This feature could be added if you like... You'd get an e-mail everytime someone @ mentions you...
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!