Author Topic: Hard top sealant - Side and Rear Glass  (Read 1373 times)

KW-BYBEE

• Junior Level
  • USA, AZ, Paradise Valley
  • On her way to her new home!!
Hard top sealant - Side and Rear Glass
« on: July 07, 2022, 18:26:27 »
Hi,
Q1.  I am reassembling my hard top.  The headliner is installed and I am ready to put the chrome back on the roof, and then install the side windows.  What kind of sealant or caulking should be used under the chrome trim where it meets the painted surface, and then between chrome when the two pieces of chrome are stacked (as in the rear side window drip rail and the chrome seal holder.  Additionally, what kind of   sealant is used  around the window itself before installing the rubber seal around the glass prior to putting in place.  I would like to avoid the thick putty type used originally.    I think I am at the hardest part of putting it all back together. 

Q2.  On the rear window, do you put sealant between the rubber seal that surrrounds the window and the painted surface?

Kyle Bybee
Kent Island, MD
1967 250SL, 5 speed
Body Color: 571 Top: 040

jzearfoss

• Junior Level
  • USA, MT, Libby
Re: Hard top sealant - Side and Rear Glass
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2022, 23:41:52 »
There is a bedding compound called Dolfinite available through marine supply outlets. It is a flexible, semi-paste, waterproof compound used in the marine industry. I have used it successfully in many different applications where I need a waterproof seal.  Try Overton's marine supply.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 01:44:44 by Garry »
1968 280 SL (AT)
2000 BMW Z3
1962 Pontiac Grand Prix
1951 Studebaker Commander
1937 Plymouth.