Author Topic: Bumper Question  (Read 2043 times)

demichae

• Inactive
  • Junior Level
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Bumper Question
« on: June 22, 2022, 17:24:10 »
So the rear, left bumper on my 1965 230SL was ripped off the frame while it was being pulled out of the cave where it’d been for 35 years.  The brackets on the back of the bumper piece are mangled, and there is an indentation/dent on the shiny side from where the bracket was pulled.  I am considering buying a damaged bumper on eBay in the hope that the brackets can be removed and then welded on to my existing one. However, I’m reading conflicting things about what the original OEM bumpers were made of. Some say they are stainless steel, not chrome.  If the brackets on the back are welded, will that affect the other side?  Would I be better off just buying a bumper from the Mercedes-Benz classic center for $1,350?  That’s a lot of money but I’m thinking a good shop to repair the bumper isn’t going to be cheap.

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: Bumper Question
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2022, 20:36:49 »
Welding will introduce heat that might affect the other side. I would look into getting a pair of reproduction bumpers if you are not going for a show car appearance and cost is a consideration.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

lreppond

• Gold
  • USA, CA, San Leandro
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2022, 21:03:19 »
It looks like you have bumper guards which wasn’t stock on a 1965. If you want to replace what is there already you can pick up a clean used one pretty easily.  I found a used one on eBay less than a year ago in outstanding (almost mint) shape for $52 plus shipping.  It was already drilled for the guards…same type as yours.  I’ve seen them offered there often. 

What has me concerned is why it ripped off.  Is the sheet metal in good shape?  I’d want to be sure what it’s being attached to is sound.  I read your first post when you were considering the car and I vaguely remember questions about rust. 

If you’re doing the repair work, you’ll have plenty of time before you need to replace the bumper.  In the meanwhile start searching for that part.  Use the wanted section on the site as an opener. 
~Len

1971 280 SL
576G red/251 Beige
4 speed manual
Family owned since new (father —> son)

TJMart

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Matthews
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 14:54:46 »
So the rear, left bumper on my 1965 230SL was ripped off the frame while it was being pulled out of the cave where it’d been for 35 years.  The brackets on the back of the bumper piece are mangled, and there is an indentation/dent on the shiny side from where the bracket was pulled.  I am considering buying a damaged bumper on eBay in the hope that the brackets can be removed and then welded on to my existing one. However, I’m reading conflicting things about what the original OEM bumpers were made of. Some say they are stainless steel, not chrome.  If the brackets on the back are welded, will that affect the other side?  Would I be better off just buying a bumper from the Mercedes-Benz classic center for $1,350?  That’s a lot of money but I’m thinking a good shop to repair the bumper isn’t going to be cheap.

The original bumpers were made of steel. You can buy repro bumpers that are polished stainless steel but have a different shine when compared to chrome.
The bumpers have a welded, I call brace, piece that is part if the bumper. The bracket attaches to the brace and the body of the car. The brace has to be attached exactly in the right place on the bumper or the bumper will not align properly to the body when you attach it to the car. IMHO you would be better off buying a used left bumper but keep in mind it would not match to your right bumper due to age etc. You can also buy a set of used bumpers from ebay or even post on this forum and see if any other members have a set to sell. You can buy a set of new repro chrome bumpers for about $400 - $600. The key is to buy both bumpers to keep them looking consistent. Last the Classic Center bumpers cost $$$ and you could rechrome a pair of used for the cost of one bumper new.
Tony
1970 280SL, 4 Speed

demichae

• Inactive
  • Junior Level
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2022, 20:49:11 »
I really appreciate the advice in the above responses.  Given the massive project ahead, I'm still trying to figure out where to start.

JohnnyC

• Regular
  • USA, CA, Escondido, CA
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2022, 22:03:02 »
Start with a camera and take lots of pictures, of course depending on what level you plan on pursuing. I have three photo albums of pictures, at least 1500 pictures in total. I also use the auction site 'Bring a Trailer' for pictures to reference also. Many of the individual auctions have a few hundred detailed pictures of the selling vehicle.

Cheers,
JohnnyC
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 02:14:11 by JohnnyC »
John
'70 280SL (In Rebuild), Dk Olive
'85 BMW Euro M635csi, Polaris Silver
'54 MG TF, Black
'01 Lazy Daze RV, White/Tan
'10 Genesis Coupe, Silver
'19 F150, Black

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2022, 23:49:46 »
I echo JohnnyC's comments about pictures -  I had a conversation with an old restoration guy at an Italian car show on Father's day about the virtues of digital cameras.   

He said that before he starts a restoration he would take 2 sets of pictures (lots and lots of them) and then put them in a single photo album - first set from the point of view that you are trying to sell the car - and the second set pointing out items that are wrong with the car to cover his butt when the owner complains about cost over runs.  He said extremely helpful when tracing incorrect wiring harnesses.   

If I ever get a 1970 Chevy C20 I may try this approach.   
Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50