Author Topic: Wiper arms hitting  (Read 2131 times)

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
Wiper arms hitting
« on: June 18, 2022, 23:02:03 »
The wipers on my car have been slightly off since I've owned it.  (See photo) According to what I can find to read, the Left side wiper blade (Right side of photo) is supposed to rest above the right hand side.  The geometry won't work otherwise.  Unless I attach the left arm so it rests too high, the wipers hit in the middle of the closing swipe.  I've tried several adjustments on the drive push rod behind the glove box.  Is it possible to adjust the length of the left side push rod?  Or is there something else I'm missing?
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
Re: Wiper arms hitting
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2022, 00:42:04 »
Ray,

I believe our wipers are supposed to be installed with the passenger side wiper arm on on top of the Driver side wiper arm.   Thats how they are on both my LHD cars.

Yours are the other way around.   

BTW : don't confuse with RHD cars -- these RHD also have passenger side wiper arm on top, so they are opposite of LHD.
250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

450sl

• Silver
  • Netherlands, Gelderland, zelhem
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2022, 11:06:23 »
Don't know witch one should be on top, but do know the the wiper mechanism is adjustable.....

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2022, 12:39:18 »
The left-hand wiper, as viewed from the LHD driver's seat, is supposed to rest on top, according to the Haynes manual.  Just looking at the structure of the wiper arms, the longer one with the greater angle must be on top, otherwise, it would not be parallel with the bottom of the windscreen when at rest. 

So, is there any way to adjust the arms independently?  Or, how else can I solve the problem of the left arm striking the right arm on the return swipe?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 13:11:27 by Raymond »
Ray

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2022, 14:27:15 »
Are the wipers the correct length?  I'm not at home to check but if they are too long they may hit...
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2022, 15:12:29 »
The passenger side wiper should be on top.
This means, om a LHD, right is on top. On a RHD, the left wiper is on top.
Wiper blade length 12" i.e. 300mm
/Hans in Sweden
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 16:30:06 by mbzse »
/Hans S

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, Wales, CARDIFF
  • i Car
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2022, 16:00:59 »
I believe the Passengers side wiper should be on top.
My car has always been this way, and the wipers work perfectly with a full sweep

Paul
Paul (located in Cardiff - Wales - UK)
1967 Early 250 SL (Auto) White
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD
1936 Alvis Firebird (Gone............)

450sl

• Silver
  • Netherlands, Gelderland, zelhem
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2022, 19:59:30 »
Under the glove box you can try to adjust the length of the wipermotorarm to the wiperarmassembly.

Don't know for sure if this solves your problem, but by marking the position beforehand, you can do no harm.

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2022, 21:17:32 »
Yes, Paul.  That is how they should look.  The left side one is supposed to be on top.  Unless MB ever made some with different bends on the arms, they never look right the other way.

I had already shortened the wiper blade as short as I dare. 

I tried about a half dozen adjustments to the length of the wiper motor arm.  None changed the relationship between the movement of the two wipers.  That's what I think I need to change. 
Ray

neelyrc

• Platinum
  • USA, AL, Birmingham
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2022, 21:38:13 »
The issue is with a left hand drive car.  I don’t know about the right hand drive cars but it isn’t an issue here.  As stated by others above, on a left hand drive car, the passenger side wiper should be on top.  If the Haynes manual says otherwise it is wrong.
Ralph

1969 280SL, 4 Speed Manual, Dark Olive (291H), Parchment Leather (256), Dark Green Soft Top (747)
1972 Mercedes-Benz 280SEL 4.5
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SL
2007 BMW 328xi (E90)
Italy
2004 Toyota HiLux D4D Pickup
2008 BMW 330xd Futura Coupe' (E92)

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2022, 22:37:54 »
On an LHD car the passenger's wiper (right side) should park above the driver's (left side) wiper. Reposition your wipers' parked  positions and restore your linkage "adjustments" to factory standard and your problems should be to an end.
Haynes, being British, probably did not appreciate that there was a difference between RHD and LHD cars when preparing their manual.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 22:43:28 by ejboyd5 »

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2022, 22:53:27 »
Regardless of RHD or LHD, the passenger wiper should be on top.  Think about it:  The passenger wiper moves first and returns last in each cycle, so it is moving just a teeny bit slower.  It also takes the rain drops at the center of the windscreen and carries them away to the passenger side.  The driver's wiper moves after the passenger wiper is out of the way and has to return before the passenger wiper returns, so it is moving just a teeny bit faster. it is not carrying away nearly so much volume of raindrops from the center of the windscreen over to the driver's side of the windscreen.  In a heavy rain the teeny bit faster two-way motion and lower volume of center screen raindrops deliver a clearer straight-ahead line of sight for the driver for most of each cycle.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

snjjahshan

• Junior Level
  • Australia, Australian Capital Territory, Walkerville
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2022, 21:59:57 »
Hi Raymond,
How did you go adjusting the resting position of your passenger side wiper arm. I have the same problem and was hoping you were able to fix yours.
Regards
Saleem