Author Topic: Hirschman Ariel position  (Read 1461 times)

gordon

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Burntwood
Hirschman Ariel position
« on: June 08, 2022, 16:05:48 »
Could I receive guidance on the positioning of a Hirschman electric ariel on a right hand drive car. I presume that it would be positioned  on  the  driver's side wing/ fender. As per the attached photo I've arrived at the indicated point to miss what I think is an area of double skin body which I can feel if I reach up in the foot well aperture area.  ( I can't find guidance in the technical area)

Any comments would be appreciated

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
Re: Hirschman Ariel position
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2022, 03:38:43 »
Gordon,
Here's a picture of a RHD scuttle from beneath, showing a circular cutout for the antenna. The cutout is centered on approximately 34mm and 60mm, relative to your 30mm and 120mm. These dimensions are a little difficult to measure because the hood/fender/scuttle reference lines are slightly curved, not straight, as I'm sure you know from doing it yourself (are there any straight lines on a pagoda?).
The equivalent dimensions on my LHD 230SL are approx. 32mm and 60mm, and again I think I can feel the circular cutout inside. So perhaps all LHD and RHD are the same in this respect. I'm pretty sure there's a factory document explicitly stating the antenna location and hole size, I even think I have one, but cannot find it. Here's one for the alternative rear antenna location but that's probably not relevant for you.
Bottom line is I think your 120mm should instead be 60mm! Which definitely should be checked & verified before drilling.
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2022, 06:03:32 »
Hi,
usually the automatic antenna is located in the front right footwell behind the trim panel (LHD). There is enough space at this point. There were even special mounts for it.
...WRe

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2022, 09:14:57 »
Good information, 40mm and 320mm.
And I measured the antenna hole diameter at 25.8 so I guess it is a 26mm hole with some paint on it.
This would be a job for a stepped drill bit; a standard bit would probably make a mess of it.
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

gordon

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Burntwood
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2022, 09:45:16 »
Thank you for all contributions, now for some carefull drilling.