Author Topic: Looking for 280SL trans K4A 025 repair parts  (Read 1213 times)

wayneesch

• Junior Level
  • USA, MI, Dexter
Looking for 280SL trans K4A 025 repair parts
« on: May 17, 2022, 12:58:48 »
After replacing the engine, we are on to repairing the original problem that lead to my car being parked for many years -- 1st, 2nd and reverse gears only engaging when engine revved up and functioned intermittently, hesitating then moving. Attaching pressure gauge to modulator pump showed uneven low pressure.

Took the trans to Royal Transmission in Dearborn, Michigan. Issa is familiar with this trans. Upon disassembly, both the fluid coupler shaft tangs had broken and this damaged the front pump. See attached photos. Also discovered that the connection part for the speedometer cable MB part# 112 270 01 13 was broken, see attached photo. Fluid had been seeping out at this connection. Transmission was rebuilt with less than 5,000 miles, the bands and other parts look good. If replacement fluid coupler can not be found, the trans shop plans to fabricate a new connection shaft with tangs and weld to existing fluid coupler. Anyone have thoughts about doing this repair?

Looking for parts to rebuild, and need suggestions for sources. Note Sun Valley Mercedes Dismantlers no longer provides used parts. Found a front pump on eBay, however, it looks different to me. ADSIT lists fluid coupler, but is out of stock.

Parts needed:
Fluid coupler, 6-bolt - prefer welded vs. riveted version
Front pump assembly with new bearing
Speedometer cable connection MB part# 112 270 01 13 (i already have the o-ring and gasket)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 23:07:11 by wayneesch »
1968 280SL

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
Re: Looking for 280SL trans K4A 025 repair parts
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 14:54:27 »
Most likely cause of the broken tangs on the coupling and the damaged pump are misassembly.
It's crucial to ensure that the coupling is fully engaged in the pump before mating the transmission to the engine.
When correctly assembled but before the bolts are inserted to mate the coupling to the flywheel, make sure that there's some free-play between the two so the bolts draw the coupling towars the flywheel. A lack of free play means the coupling is not correctly installed and the damage in your pictures will be the result.
I have the parts you need but I'm in the UK so shipping would be pricey fort parts I'm sure you'll find locally.

miked_md

• Junior Level
  • USA, MD, Queenstown
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2024, 23:43:20 »
I have the same problem with my 230SL automatic.  I bought it knowing the transmission was broken, upon disassembly I found the tabs on the fluid coupler messed up, the bushing shredded, and the gears seized to the case!  I need a replacement front pump.

We’re you able to locate the parts or did you have to replace the whole transmission? 

wayneesch

• Junior Level
  • USA, MI, Dexter
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2024, 14:09:16 »
Royal Transmission in Dearborn MI rebuilt the fluid coupler and they found a front pump to also rebuild. I pulled the transmission and took it to their shop. It is working great
1968 280SL

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2024, 18:30:06 »
Great!  Glad you came back and provided a follow-up.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

miked_md

• Junior Level
  • USA, MD, Queenstown
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2024, 17:59:36 »
Thanks.  I was hoping to find something in the DC/MD/VA area. 

wayneesch

• Junior Level
  • USA, MI, Dexter
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2024, 19:50:05 »
I think the front pump was purchased using eBay.  The fluid coupler was cut open and welded back together, new tabs welded on.
1968 280SL