Author Topic: 1965 230 SL Automatic Differential Problem  (Read 1045 times)

Klaus Pieper

• Regular
  • South Africa, KwaZulu-Natal, Westville
1965 230 SL Automatic Differential Problem
« on: May 11, 2022, 14:13:01 »
Please excuse the long story.

When I took my 230 SL Automatic together with an experienced mechanic for a test drive a few weeks ago to try and identify a noise from possibly the gear box, prop shaft or differential, when coming around a slight incline there was a loud bang, like a piece of metal breaking off.  The car came to a halt as there was no more traction to the back wheels.  After starting the car again and putting it into drive, the prop shaft turned, but the wheels were stationary.  The car had to be towed home.

The next day I started the car again and was able to, to my surprise, drive the car out and back into the garage (+-20m).  The car was put on stands and started up again, shifter put in D and as the revs went up the gears changed as normal.  When holding both wheels however, the prop shaft turned, but the wheels were not spinning.  Our conclusion - there is a problem with the differential.

The rear axle has now been removed as well as the left rear axle tube from the diff.  The idea was to gain excess to view the crown wheel and pinion gear for damage, but this does not seem to work from the left hand axle tube side?

I would be most grateful if the knowledgeable forum members could put me on the right track to diagnose the problem and whether it is possible to view the crown wheel and pinion gear for damage from the left axle tube side, or if the right axle tube needs to be removed.  If the right axle tube needs to be removed, what is the best procedure?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Klaus Pieper

• Regular
Re: 1965 230 SL Automatic Differential Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2022, 14:29:56 »
I did not find any information in the BBB nor in the search function of this forum.  Is that an indication that I should rather leave my fingers away from this project?

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 11:18:06 »
Try your search again, but now take into account this tip:

https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=34832.msg255080#msg255080

There is lots of stuff on differentials on this forum. Select Google or This board in the drop down menu.

1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Klaus Pieper

• Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 10:10:37 »
Vriendelijk bedankt, Peter.  Your tip has done the trick and I now have much to research - much aprreciated.