Author Topic: replacing left heater flap  (Read 1730 times)

rmunson

• Junior Level
  • USA, CT, Chester
replacing left heater flap
« on: May 09, 2022, 18:36:43 »
Can the left heater flab be replaced through access removing the cowl, air control flap, and cabin fresh air filter?  Or is additional access necessary?
R.Munson
1969 280SL

rmunson

• Junior Level
  • USA, CT, Chester
Re: replacing left heater flap
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 18:42:20 »
flap, not flab.

I am not sure this belongs in this category but I do not see any other category for heating/ventilation.

Sorry for the typo!
R.Munson
1969 280SL

DavidAPease

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Chico
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2022, 20:29:49 »
If this is the flap you mean, then yes:

https://mercedes-classic-parts.com/product/ontluchtingsklep-kachel-links-v-nr-1138300142/

I just did this, and it is accessed through the air cowl opening.  However, it was not as easy as I had imagined due to having to loosen the nut that holds the bracket that the flap pivots in.  The are good photos and info in this thread (from Sead, not me):

https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=33294.msg242830

Getting a tool up to the head of the bolt in question made taking out the dash instruments look easy.

-David
-David Pease
 '66 230SL (Originally sold in Paris)

rmunson

• Junior Level
  • USA, CT, Chester
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2022, 21:57:40 »
Thanks so much for confirming that it is doable.  And how challenging it is.  I believe I have all the pieces I need unless one of the brackets that hold the flap are broken (either now or break during the replacement).  Since the driving season in CT is just starting, I may hold off until late fall unless there are likely to be a couple of rainy days I can commit to having the car tied up.

Did you use a special tool or wrench to reach the nut holding the bracket?  Can it be just loosened to rotate the bracket out of the way and then back onto the flap pivot and then tightened?
R.Munson
1969 280SL

DavidAPease

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Chico
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2022, 23:20:16 »
As I remember, I was only able to get a small vise-grip onto the nut to turn it (there might be better tools for the job, but I didn't seem to have any). 

The problem with just rotating the bracket is the pivot shaft on the flap -- I don't believe there's enough clearance to rotate the bracket with the flap in place.

Good luck!  (Maybe you'll find a more clever way to do this than I did.  :-[)

-David
-David Pease

rmunson

• Junior Level
  • USA, CT, Chester
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2022, 12:26:13 »
After reviewing the previous threads, I will likely wait until I do not plan on using the car i.e. the winter!
One last question (at least for now).  What kind of fastener connects the dash lever cable to the flap?

Thanks
R.Munson
1969 280SL

DavidAPease

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Chico
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2022, 20:42:31 »
Doing this from memory, but I believe it's a cable with loops on the end that slip over the small shaft on the back arm.

-David
-David Pease

rmunson

• Junior Level
  • USA, CT, Chester
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2022, 12:08:07 »
very helpful.  Looks like a c-clip will hold it on. 
Thanks again.
R.Munson
1969 280SL