Author Topic: Idler Arm  (Read 879 times)

getsmart

• Silver
  • Australia, Victoria, Dromana
Idler Arm
« on: May 05, 2022, 02:58:16 »
Hi all,

I'm a bit unsure if my idler arm is correct and /or whether I'm missing an upper seal (if there should be one).

Also the BBB shows a picture of the idler arm showing a gap between idler arm and the bottom of the idler arm housing (marked as B in my pic) but does not suggest a space. If I tighten to what feels like a low torque the gap quickly disappears - this is only hand tight and you can see the gap has disappeared.

Also the pic shows quite a sizeable gap between the bottom of the bushing and the top of the idler arm housing (marked as A in my pic). In the pic this is only done hand tight but if I tighten with a spanner it does not go down too far before becoming pretty tight. I haven't tried it to torque setting yet as I don't have the right size deep socket.

But typically I'm curious as to what the gap would be at "A" (and "B:) once torqued and wouldn't grease perhaps escape from the top if the bushing does not meet the housing (am I missing a top seal? - EPC diagrams don't show one in exploded diagrams)

Rgds, joe

Finding the red car
1964 230sl Restoration Project