Author Topic: Alternator charging light replacement - RHD  (Read 2002 times)

georgem

• Gold
  • Australia, Queensland, Birkdale
Alternator charging light replacement - RHD
« on: May 04, 2022, 23:34:02 »
Its with a heavy heart I realise that the bulb needs replacement - anyone done this without taking out the glove box, radio and tacho to reach the central cluster?
George McDonald
Brisbane
230 Sl
1973 VW Kombi Single Cab Ute
2022 Volvo XC 40 Pure (100% electric)

lpeterssen

• Vendor
  • Gold
  • USA, FL, Miami
Re: Alternator charging light replacement - RHD
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 11:21:20 »
Dear George

Yes the central instrument cluster can be removed without taking out so many things.  I hope you practice Yoga and are very flexible.  If you are able to lay down on the floor like a contortionist facing up on the cockpit side (right on your case) you will find that the central cluster is hold in place by an “U” shaped bracket that has a hand tighten central nut that was intended to be removed by hand.  You remove that bracket, unplug the central instrument electrical cord for signals at the bottom (12 or 14 pin female connector) and then you can pull it out slightly.

You at this point will still have the central cluster connected to the car body by the pressure gauge line coming from engine, and in certain cars depending on the model also by the gas tube that feeds the Thermo indicator.    So do not be rude and pull out with care.

Once you have enough clearance you will be able to see that on the back part of the instrument cluster is a printed circuit board that is also hold in place by two finger tighten round nuts.  You remove that and then take appart  the printed board from the central cluster to access the bulbs you want.

Enjoy your weekend project.

Best regards
Leonardo Peterssen

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 15:22:08 »
For the contortionist side of things, you may want to pull out the driver's seat (held with 4 bolts) and the steering wheel (single center bolt) it makes things much easier. You still have to lie on your back, but now at least the angle is not so bad.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

georgem

• Gold
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2022, 22:42:57 »
Thanks Leonardo and Jonny,

I guess I was hoping for someone who knew of a long forgotten panel that once removed gave easy access. I live in hope :-\
George McDonald
Brisbane
230 Sl

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2022, 16:42:25 »
May be that helps. The center thumb screw holds the cluster in place.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 16:51:07 by dirkbalter »
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

georgem

• Gold
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2022, 01:26:22 »
Hi Dirk,

I appreciate your post  - I "dug" my way into the instrument cluster and it was as you describe. BTW the quadrant that holds the indicator bulbs  alternator and high beam has a third socket (in the middle - between the alt and the high beam - there was a globe in mine when I got the backing plate off) - any idea what it`s for?

Dug = remove glove box, to gain access to clock to allow it to be removed to allow radio plate to be deleted (after removing bottom cover plated under dash inc chrome slip) to allow access to heater controls to be removed to allow access to tach to remove it to allow access to centre instrument cluster ....whew.  Friend of mine reckons it would be easier to remove the engine :o

So, all that to replace a 50 cent globe. Globe (for the alternator) replaced and tested and acts as it  should, as do all the others.  Reassemble cluster, reinstall and test again - alternator light still working, as is the high beam indicator BUT the instrument lights and the parking lights aren`t. Easy Peasy- must have blown a fuse - Nup, all of them are ok good so now I have to start back tracking to see what I have done GRRRRRR  Any clairvoyants who could give me a clue would be welcome. At least I did`t get the  whole dash back together before I tested.......

At least the path to the light didn`t include removing the blower (although not by much!)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 01:31:14 by georgem »
George McDonald
Brisbane
230 Sl

georgem

• Gold
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2022, 01:35:48 »
PS, I appreciated the advice re getting at it by laying down etc, removing the seat and steering wheel etc but my body, even though I do Pilates and Yoga weekly, shuddered at the thought :'(
George McDonald
Brisbane
230 Sl

georgem

• Gold
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2022, 02:52:26 »
Somewhat embarrassed, I must update this forum - it was the fuse - I was counting from the wrong end :-[
George McDonald
Brisbane
230 Sl