Author Topic: Firewall Pad Alternative  (Read 1801 times)

getsmart

• Silver
  • Australia, Victoria, Dromana
Firewall Pad Alternative
« on: April 17, 2022, 00:53:52 »
Hi all,
Addendum - I meant to post this product from car builders rather than the kool wrap product....see last image below

https://www.carbuilders.com.au/peel-stick-heat-shield

I'm considering using this product in lieu of the usual firewall pad options and interested to hear peoples opinions which could be on performance and looks and anything else anyone can think of. The thing that struck me is how similar to the original firewall pattern it is. I'd paint it satin block of course. Its also almost half the price of the other firewall pads from what I can tell.

Rgds, Joe

PS. the first pic is the usual 3 options and the 2nd pic is the product I'm referring too which can be seen here - addendum - final pic is the carbuilders product

https://koolwrap.com.au/product/kool-wrap-underfloor-insulation-aluminium-and-fibreglass-with-adhesive-backing-106cm-x-60cm-light/
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 04:31:24 by getsmart »
Finding the red car
1964 230sl Restoration Project

AdelaidePagoda

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Australia, South Australia, Adelaide
Re: Firewall Pad Alternative
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2022, 07:56:54 »
Joe,
Nice to meet you virtually through this forum. I am based in Adelaide and have just purchased my first Pagoda, so it is good to connect with another Aussie Pagoda, who is much more experienced than I!
My firewall also requires replacement so this is an interesting option. I figure with all the extra work required, paint, cutting etc. it may be a better option to purchase the fried and true reproductions from established sellers. I am keen how you get on though and if it is a success.
I would be interested in the bonnet sound/ heat insulation that Koolwrap advertise. Would you consider than for under the hood to reduce noise? Or would it potentially push heat back toward the motor and cause overheating issues?
Hope to catch up one day.
Dave
Dave Cleghorn
January 1964 230SL 4SPD Power Steering
050 050 Black Soft top, Red Leather interior
Italian delivered/ Germany/ Florida/ Boston/ Sydney/ Adelaide (5th owner)

Model S Tesla
Vespa

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2022, 08:47:38 »
Dave,

It has been discussed on this forum and the conclusion was: danger of overheating.

Sound insulation is also a topic here discussed many times.

When you go to Home page of the forum, on the right hand side you have the search window and button. Type in the topic, usually works best with parenthesis and you will get a lot if hits of posts Member wrote across the years.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

AdelaidePagoda

• Associate Member
  • Senior
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2022, 10:23:16 »
Pawel, 
I am honoured to get a response from you as you are a legend on Pagoda. 🙏🏻Thanks for your response, I will not be using this then.
What is your personal recommendation for the firewall? Mine is bare at present after a full engine bay respray in 1996. I actually like it as it is but if I was to add a firewall what would you recommend?
Thanks,
Dave
Dave Cleghorn

Model S Tesla
Vespa

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2022, 10:36:39 »
Thank you for kind words! My knowledge is quite average and what I know, I know from members here...

I had the SL 113 Group solution, years ago received in Essen form helpful hands. It then got accidentally destroyed, I bought another, good one on ebay form one of the usual vendors (do not remember who now).

I think the other solution widely used on the forum is great. There are other great solutions around from the ebay vendors. You can add layers/modify what is underneath for better sound or heat protection, but the key is the diamond pattern.

I have not seen nor touched the new one - difficult to say, but - is it black? Does not look so on the picture.

It is a highly visible part. It is this one and the valve cover tat you see first when you look at the engine bay. You will remember every dollar you saved if you compromise the look of this element. And then we will see a post from you "How difficult it is to replace the pad without dismantling everything in the engine bay?".  ;) ;)
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

getsmart

• Silver
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2022, 10:54:57 »
Hello Dave and the famous Pawel of course!  ;)

Nice to meet you too Dave!
Indeed one would not apply bonnet insulation to these cars me thinks. It would most probably cause overheating. The bonnet is aluminium (you probably knew that) and as such is something like 10 to 20 times more efficient at heat dissipation than steel. I do wonder though whether it would cause paint deteriation in the long run.

I might be different to others and although I'd like to keep mine as standard as possible 2 factors I'm always looking at in my total restoration are price and I want to do it myself. So I'm always challenging the norm I guess and I always prefer to restore rather than replace. I'll be purchasing sound and heat proofing material anyway for my interior and may add a little for the exhaust/muffler regions so I'll get a look at it then.

Here's the link to my restoration be it though not a bolt by bolt thread as good as Andy Burns story, feel free to ping me anytime, I'm no expert but I do have a bit of a knack for working stuff out...

https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=19586.0;all

Best Rgds, Joe

PS. I can easily make one up since I have a blank firewall as a canvas - nothing in the way
Finding the red car

AdelaidePagoda

• Associate Member
  • Senior
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2022, 12:02:49 »
Thanks Joe, I will be sure to keep in touch! Best of luck with the upgrades and let me know how it goes as I may end up doing the same and add a firewall to the blank canvas that exists today.
Just added LED Headlights today and they are true night time game changers, much safer for night driving!
Dave
Dave Cleghorn

Model S Tesla
Vespa

AdelaidePagoda

• Associate Member
  • Senior
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2022, 12:08:08 »
Pawel,
So true, you deserve what you don’t pay for!
If and when I do add a firewall pad, I will be certain to make sure it has the diamond pattern.
Chat again soon as I am a new owner and will be sure to have more questions. Yes, I will be joining up as a full member and review many other threads as well to save irrelevant posts.
Dave
Dave Cleghorn

Model S Tesla
Vespa

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2022, 04:53:35 »
Just a bit of advice to correct the use of the search button.

If you do as Pawel suggests and use the top right hand side search button, you will only search the area you are currently in, in this instance it Drive Train.

You dont need to go to the home page to do a full search as Pawel suggests. If you want to search the Forum completely,  Dont use the top right search button. Use the search button in the Home line and that way you will get a full hit of the subject.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 05:00:28 by Garry »
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Davek1

• Regular
  • United Kingdom, England, Wells
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2022, 11:38:25 »
Hi Gary, Many thanks for the search advice. As a fairly new member I have not realised this so getting limited searches

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2022, 16:45:57 »
I have RHD firewall pads in stock.

getsmart

• Silver
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2022, 09:54:01 »
I have RHD firewall pads in stock.

I'll pm you Colin
Finding the red car

getsmart

• Silver
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2022, 10:56:31 »
I ended up using the aluminium heat shield product from carbuilders.com.au and I'm pretty pleased with the result....maybe not one for the purists out there....lucky I ain't one! 🙂
Finding the red car