Author Topic: Did I just slip my car out of gear?  (Read 948 times)

Rothko

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, FL, Palm Beach
Did I just slip my car out of gear?
« on: April 11, 2022, 14:11:56 »
Looking for some advice on what I might have done.

This weekend I was backing my 280 out of the garage.  Obviously, the car was in reverse.  After going backwards, I stepped on the brake and put the car into drive to move it up the driveway a bit.  Nothing happened in drive; the car started rolling back on the inclined driveway.  I put my foot on the brake again, and move the car into park.  It kept rolling as soon as I lifted my foot off the brake.  I braked the car again and turned off the engine.  I then tried to start the car and it wouldn't start - no "click click" or anything, it was just quiet and nothing happened - sort of like if you had turned off the car while it was in gear.  I put the car into neutral and a couple of us pushed the car back into the garage, and I put it into park but it rolled like it is in neutral.  I had to chock the tires so it wouldn't move.

So before I call a flat bed tow to have it taken in, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what might have happened.  I am no mechanic, so I am wondering if I slipped the car out of gear, or somehow messed with the transmission or something.

Thanks

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
Re: Did I just slip my car out of gear?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 14:22:31 »
Your linkage bushings disintegrated.  Easy fix and not expensive.  I don't have the part number but if you do a search you will find a lot of info.
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic

Lorsar

• Membership Administrator
  • Senior
  • USA, NC, Charlotte
  • 1968 280SL (US)
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2022, 14:24:19 »
More than likely your shift bushings are worn and you car is still in reverse.  Similar thing happened to me.  There are 2 bushings, one at the shifter end and one at the transmission end.  Cost around $5 each.  You might be able to push it back into park or neutral from underneath.  If you join as a full member, there is detailed instructions on repairing it in the Tech Manual
Lori
1968 280SL (US)

Rothko

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, FL, Palm Beach
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2022, 14:30:26 »
You all were correct.  It was the bushings.  Getting them replaced.  Thanks for the advice!

PS:  I have a transmission leak too.  Ughhh