Author Topic: Getrag gearbox position.  (Read 1350 times)

Kiwibenz

• Junior Level
  • New Zealand, Canterbury, CHRISTCHURCH
  • W 107 450SL, W 463 300GE, W 113 230SL (in Resto)
Getrag gearbox position.
« on: April 09, 2022, 01:40:58 »
Hi all
I am currently doing some preparatory work to establish the correct position for a Getrag 265/6 'long' gearbox, without the engine fitted in the shell of my 230 SL. Can some kind soul tell me what the measurement is (+/- 5mm) from the rear of their cylinder block to the vertical portion at entry to the transmission tunnel?  Early days yet with this possible mod, but that dimension would enable me to work out the correct position of the bellhousing, near enough, to position the box and check clearances, etc.   Many thanks.  Perry M.

cfm65@me.com

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Mossel Bay, South Africa
Re: Getrag gearbox position.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 12:19:28 »
Hi Perry,
As far as I have experienced, you don't have to be concerned about the measurements.
I have a 250SL Auto. Manual bell housing, 10mm aluminium adapter plate and a 265/6 Getrag and it fits perfectly. Before you start, make sure you have the BM speedo drive( this is a deal breaker)
Only mod was to the rear engine mount/cover plate. This cover has a dubbler , spot welded to the leading edge. Drill the spot welds and remove the leading edge. Remove the rear Benz gearbox/engine mount and attach two BMW gearbox mounts to L and R  of the BM transmission. With the engine and gearbox in position. Offer cover plate up into position and you will find the BM mountings are about one inch shy of the cover plate. NOTE the floor is not level, L to R, the cover plate is not level.  ( 5 to 10 mm) difference between L and R. Mark the positions and fabricate two +- one inch mounts, with 8mm nuts welded on top and tack the mounts in position on the cover plate.
Check, recheck before you final weld.
Chris
Cape Town
cfm65@me.com
Call me on WatsApp 027 829247403 if you need more info, remember the time change
28 Ford Model A Pickup
29 Chevy Phaeton
67 E Type FHC
67 250SL 5 speed
83 911SC
2015 VW T5 California Pop Top

Kiwibenz

• Junior Level
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2022, 05:35:59 »
Hello Chris

Thank you for your detailed and considerate reply.   Actually, I am not using the ex-BMW 'short' Getrag box but I am trying the 'long' ex Jag/ GM (Opel) box, which at first trial appears to fit but goes much further back in the tunnel.  It certainly fills the tunnel, so I need to be sure that I have it in the correct position.  I have had it in and out of the shell of my Pagoda on a test rig with the trapezoidal plate set down 30mm on spacers, and as long as it does not have to go further to the rear, it should be OK.  But I need to confirm that I have it in the correct position.  A measurement from the rear of somebody's cam cover to the firewall would be all that's needed as I can use measurements from my engine to locate the face of the bellhousing accurately.  I do not know if anyone else has fitted this box to a Pagoda.

cfm65@me.com

• Associate Member
  • Gold
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2022, 09:42:17 »
Ok here goes.
My short Getrag box, from the front face, with bell removed, to the tip of the rear shaft is 42cm
Mine is a LHD, therefor I have a throttle cross over shaft, as well as a brake pipe and the main wiring harness, between the engine and the firewall, which makes it difficult to get in there, in order to measure correctly. It looks like about 2cm, maybe a bit less. The rear of the tappet cover, at the top, is approximately 10 to 15 mm from the bonnet latch housing. My engine sits at 2 to 3* nose up.
Please let me know if you need more measurements.
Regards
Chris
Ps. I have a pit in my garage, if you require measurements from below.
28 Ford Model A Pickup
29 Chevy Phaeton
67 E Type FHC
67 250SL 5 speed
83 911SC

Kiwibenz

• Junior Level
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2022, 19:35:01 »
Thanks Chris - that's really useful.  I'll give it another trial fit on those measurements.  Calculations based on difference in length between the gearboxes to the rear mount suggests that rear mounting point will be 70mm to the rear - which drops nicely into the centre of the rear slot on the trapezoidal plate. Calculation based on 2 deg slope suggests the centre of output shaft should be about 3mm lower in correct position.

cfm65@me.com

• Associate Member
  • Gold
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2022, 18:15:41 »
👍🏻👍🏻 Let me know how you are doing and if it all works out.
Cheers
Chris
28 Ford Model A Pickup
29 Chevy Phaeton
67 E Type FHC
67 250SL 5 speed
83 911SC

lagolag

• Senior
  • Sweden, Västra Götaland, Askim
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2022, 19:57:12 »
There is a installation kit available for BMW Getrag 265/6 from Germany they have a web page that might be helpful for your job.
I have bought the kit that they sell but not jet installed the gearbox as I just the other day got my adopted prop. shaft.

https://w113.eu/geschlossen/Optimierungen/5%20Gang%20Getriebe%20Mercedes%20Pagode%20W113.htmf

Regards Lars
230SL 1967 since July 2021
SL55 AMG 2003 since July 2008
Suzuki Cappuccino 1995 since May 2006, Sold

Kiwibenz

• Junior Level
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2022, 20:44:40 »
Hello Lars
Thank you for the advice - I think you are indicating the kit offered by Wolfgang Schlieper   He seems to work only with the 'short', ex BMW Getrag gearboxes.  I have been able to use some of his excellent kit, including his nice 20mm bellhousing spacer and centering ring, but the rest will be a 'one-off' for me with this longer box which has a number of basic mounting and rear output differences.
Best regards  Perry M