Author Topic: below number plate chrome strip  (Read 3306 times)

Davek1

• Regular
  • United Kingdom, England, Wells
below number plate chrome strip
« on: March 29, 2022, 17:42:10 »
Hi all, I have read various threads on this but can not find an answer. I would like to fit the chrome strip below the number plate as I have a US car in the UK. Is the strip originally polished chrome or a satin aluminium. I see both are for sale. Thanks

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton
  • Audit Committee
Re: below number plate chrome strip
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2022, 20:57:25 »
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

RAY

• Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Bromley
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2022, 11:50:35 »
Hi Dave,

I have just bought a replacement strip direct from MB and it is aluminium that is anodised. I had my last one chrome plated but the chrome did not last long, about 4 years, before it started to blister, i believe aluminium is difficult to chrome plate successfully. The strip is a design feature that continues the bumper line of the rear bumpers.

Ray

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2022, 13:16:36 »
You can polish aluminum to a chrome-like shine.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2022, 15:06:03 »
I have just bought a replacement strip direct from MB and it is aluminium that is anodised. I had my last one chrome plated but the chrome did not last long, about 4 years, before it started to blister, i believe aluminium is difficult to chrome plate successfully.

Yes, chrome plating aluminum is different than chrome plating steel or copper or brass. There's a lot of information available but basically the reason is the same as why it is challenging to weld aluminum. It surely can be done--successfully--but a different process in preparation. Aluminum oxide forms a barrier on aluminum almost instantly upon exposure to air. So, if you have a piece chrome plated best to seek out someone with the skill set in doing Aluminum parts.

Yes, you can also polish aluminum to a mirror like finish, but to keep it that bright you should probably protect it with some kind of clear coat. If you clear anodize, the high pH of nearly any cleaning product will most certainly compromise the anodizing.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

MikeSimon

• Platinum
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2022, 12:23:35 »
I have a slew of polished aluminum parts (covers) on many of my motorcycles and none of the is "coated". They all have retained the luster for years with the occasional buffing with polish.
Magnesium is a different story. It can be polished but needs to be coated, otherwise it darkens within days.
There are also quite a few anodized aluminum parts, e.g. wheels and engine covers and they do not show any reaction to conventional cleaners?
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
German specs
3rd owner

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2022, 15:30:53 »
I have a slew of polished aluminum parts (covers) on many of my motorcycles and none of the is "coated". They all have retained the luster for years with the occasional buffing with polish.
Magnesium is a different story. It can be polished but needs to be coated, otherwise it darkens within days.
There are also quite a few anodized aluminum parts, e.g. wheels and engine covers and they do not show any reaction to conventional cleaners?

Well, the operative words are "occasional buffing and polish".

As for anodizing, almost all detergents and cleaners of most kinds are basic, or high pH. (yes, I know all about pH neutral cleaners, and Simple Green...) Some, such as wheel cleaners, are acidic and low pH. Alkalinity or high pH attacks fatty and oily soils breaking them into component parts that are easier to remove with surfactants. Acid or lo pH really attacks caked on and baked on soils, such as crusty brake dust on a wheel, and that "eyebrow" outside the wipe area on a windshield. The first I noticed the effect of alkaline on anodized aluminum when I apparently used an alkaline car wash product on my Pagoda, and the newly replaced clear-anodized aluminum trim became a milky white. Metal polish cured that, and of course, between the initial car wash detergent and subsequent metal polish, the anodizing was gone. And yes, with "occasional buffing and polish" they remain clean, bright, and polished.

Back in October I restored my old Italian racing bike, and one of the needed tasks in restoration was removing the faded and worn black anodizing done to certain components back in the 1970s. The anodizing came off readily with a water based degreaser, ZEP purple. When I ran out of that, I used "Oil Eater". Same basic stuff without the color. You can see the before and after. All that black came off with a water based degreasing product.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

MikeSimon

• Platinum
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2022, 18:33:58 »
"Anodizing" is a process that will alter the top layer of the aluminum. It is used to a) change the appearance (mostly to a mirror shine, often also to a different color) and b) to harden the aluminum surface to make it wear resistant. It is NOT a plating of coating process. The company I worked for had a patented process to anodize the control valve bore in the aluminum power steering pump to eliminate wear. It is not easily removed by any detergent and requires grinding or etching to remove the top layer.
Anyone working with and finishing aluminum parts will tell you NOT to use Simple Green on bare aluminum.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
German specs
3rd owner