Author Topic: Starting a Sitting 280sl (Injecotor Pump Question)  (Read 1303 times)

SeanT

Starting a Sitting 280sl (Injecotor Pump Question)
« on: March 13, 2022, 07:42:57 »
Hello, I am currently waking up a 1970 280sl that has been sitting for a number of years. I have already rebuilt the electric fuel pump and flushed the fuel system, turned the engine over by hand, and changed the oil. Is there anything else I should do before starting the car? Can and or should I take the side cover off the injector pump to verify it is operating correctly? Very familiar with cars and my W126 560SEC but don't know a lot about these earlier MFI cars. Done a lot of reading and read the information on the injector pump in the tech manual on this site. Just want to go slow and be cautious so I don't damage anything or cause problems for myself.
Thank you,

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
Re: Starting a Sitting 280sl (Injecotor Pump Question)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2022, 09:41:46 »
I am not a mechanic, but if you want to check if the injection pump is not stuck, you can try to move its rack. You can do it by removing the rubber cup in front of the pump and push on the rack from the front through the orifice.
I think in your car you have the pump with the rack with no threaded hole in its tip - you can just push the rack in, it should go backward with some small resistance (it is spring loaded) and it should return when you remove the pressure. its movement here is slow and gentle. If you cannot move it, or it does not return, it is stuck. There are descriptions on the forum what to do then, you can find them via search function.
If the rack is stuck and you want to push it back to return, on pumps without threaded hole in the tip of the rack you push the rack back from the main adjuster side.

On older pumps that had the hole in the tip of the rack, you would need to screw in a screw in that threaded tip to be able to both push and pull the rack.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

roymil

• Senior
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2022, 17:36:57 »
Hi,  I recently had a similar situation waking up a 280 after many years buried literally in an uncontrolled storage unit.   A big question is if you think it was properly stored or not.  If not, then you should also put in some relatively easy but time consuming work on other things to check the safety of all critical systems before ever cranking it.   

Pawel's advice is great and the rack should move very smoothly.   Mine was locked up and even after many hours of work to free it, not all of the pistons were actually free.  I learned that even if the rack is free pistons can become stuck in the upper position and of course then not pressurize fuel to corresponding cylinders.   So it is worth pulling the cover off and inspecting.  I saw a lot of sludge in my pump, which led to rebuild, well worth it.   You should also suspect the injectors and certainly pull them to inspect and clean.   Mine were all bad to some degree, since they corrode over time.   I would have saved a lot of time if I had just pulled and high pressure tested them out of the car first rather than discovering widely different combustion between cylinders and chasing every other sort of cause.   Which reminds me that compression and leak-down checks are also a good idea and pretty easy to do.  Even if fuel was purged before storage, I'd strongly recommend changing all of the rubber fuel lines, return lines, vent lines, and make sure to use fuel rated metric sized hoses that fit well.  You didn't mention fuel filter but thats obvious.  I'd put a new filter in and run the pump for a couple hours to circulate fuel through the tank and then pull it apart and check to see what it collected.  If clean you are blessed.  I wasn't and there went 3 months of my spare time.   I also added a clear pre-filter outside the tank to collect debris before it could get into that expensive electric pump.

Safety first!  Fuel leaks and fires can ruin your day.  If you ever smell fuel, you must get to the root of it quickly.   Get a fire extinguisher that wont leave residue and keep it near.

Thinking safety brings brakes to mind.    You should probably flush, replace, and purge all the brake fluid and carefully look at what comes out.   That will tell you what you are dealing with.  Mine was basically black chunks.  I then completely rebuilt the entire brake system.  PMB performance will make your calipers like new if you need.  Don't forget the rear pressure dampener either,  not sure what its official name is but if you don't verify its working right you risk locking your rears prematurely and losing control in a panic stop.  Of course you don't want to test this the hard way.  And brake fluid reminds me of clutch fluid.  Thats a whole topic itself but not safety related so much.  I just replaced the entire system.  not expensive.

I'd also recommend flushing the cooling system (first without running the engine) and pay special attention to what you see when you drain it the first time.   The color and consistency of the water/antifreeze will tell you much about what happened chemically in the engine while it waited.  I went through multiple purges and soaked with distilled water to try and leach as much crud out of the system as possible.  Water pump is another thing that should be suspect.  Mine was corroded to the point I couldn't even see the vanes very well.   Its cheap to pull and just replace as a precaution...and that led to replacing every piece of water hose...even that hard to get one that looked just fine...and wasnt at all.

It's worth removing the valve cover for a look at the condition of the cam, check valve clearances, look for crud pooled in the cavities.    Consider at some point re-torque of the head bolts but thats after you get it running and warm.  When you put the cover back on do the "linkage tour".

I just keep thinking of stuff!  I was at it for well over two years in my spare time before I ever cranked the engine by starter.  At some point I realized I was doing what I've come to call the 50 year maintenance plan, which is really very simple:  If it's metal, remove and clean it, if its not metal then replace it. If you think you found something you don't need to do, you are wrong.  Very simple, but if you do it you will protect yourself, the car, and have a ton of fun in the process.  We wont talk of the money.

Bottom line, think about your personal safety and prioritize all of the systems and items that would be needed to pass a 10 point state safety inspection. lights, horns, safety belts, etc.  Then think about protecting the car itself and doing everything you can to prevent damage to very expensive and hard to find components.   

I take little credit for any ideas above and thanks again to all the veterans who spent their time here in the forum, freely giving advice.   

Good Luck! and remember that everything is broken until proven otherwise.   -Mark
Mark Miller
1968 280SL
Rode in his pagoda's first mile.

SeanT

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2022, 23:28:36 »
Thank you, for the quick and helpful responses Pawel66 and Roymil. I already have taken the valve cover off and oiled the cam before turning it over by hand (and cylinders) and watching it while I was turning it, nothing out of the ordinary. Do these cars have any problems with cam chain guides and or tensioners? I changed all the high-pressure fuel lines and others, and new fuel filters (main, tank, electric pump). I also have an extra main fuel filter I'll put it after I get it running or a bit. I'll make sure to go over the cooling system. I think I will also take the side cover off the injection pump and make sure it's moving correctly and for my own curiosity. I also put in regular 10W-40 oil to get it started then plan on switching to 15w-40 Delo or something similar after the 10w-40 flushes it out.

The car is my father's and I'm helping him get it going again. I think it sat for about 12 years. The electric pump had a lot of tar-like junk in the bottom but the rest of the fuel system seems alright and I've got clean fuel coming out the return line after my flush. Planning on taking the tank out of the car so I can inspect and clean it.

Also plan on checking the brakes and I'll pay close attention to that proportioning valve for the rear wheels that your mentioned roymil. Along with all the other main components, before it goes on the road, I just want to get it running first. Like I said before I want to go slow and with care so I don't damage any expensive or orignal parts.

Thank you,
Sean

roymil

• Senior
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2022, 03:49:16 »
I don't know if this M130 engine is prone to chain or tensioner issues more than any other, but if it has a lot of miles it would be a good idea to check the chain with the procedure someplace on this site to make sure it hasn't stretched too much.   Also worth checking valve clearances while you are in there if you haven't already.
Mark Miller
1968 280SL
Rode in his pagoda's first mile.