Author Topic: Is this VIN a Pagota?  (Read 11922 times)

OldGuard60

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, TX, Houston
Re: Is this VIN a Pagota?
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2022, 21:49:09 »
I did use Hagerty and liked them but USAA had me switch to American Collector.  Now all of my insurance is under my USAA umbrella policy.

Also, I have my collector cars registered in Texas as "Antiques".  They renew every five years and I don't have to deal with safety inspections every year.  The driving "limits" may not work for you but the limits are fine for me.

Did you get a chance to stop by and meet Gus yet?

Norm
Ok.  Thx.  I am not going to be driving this really at all.  I haven't met with Gus yet.  I was waiting till I had the car here and then set up a day/time to bring it to him (on a trailer!) to look it over.   
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 22:04:10 by OldGuard60 »

Norm

• Silver
  • USA, TX, Wimberley
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2022, 22:04:25 »
If I were closer to Houston I would be happy to meet.  Unfortunately for me Wimberley is a few hours drive from Houston and I don't get over there much anymore.

While you are waiting for the car to arrive you should stop by to visit Gus.  Call first to make sure he will be available.  If you just show up with your car on a trailer he might not have the time you want to discuss your car.  Beverly Hill Motors (713) 977-9612.

Looking forward to hearing more about your car when you have it in Houston.

Norm
Norm
1966 230SL 162H Blue-Grey
1994 Acura NSX Formula Red
2024 Acura RDX A-Spec, White Pearl
2016 Mercedes S63 AMG Coupe Obsidian Black
2011 Harley Davidson Super Glide Light / Dark Root Beer

OldGuard60

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, TX, Houston
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2022, 18:37:13 »
Ok, finally have photos of vehicle.
Here's what I know.
1.  It has a bit of rust in the trunk (would love to hear from any of you who have also had this and how you fixed it).  I am not going to do the work myself, but would still like to know.
2.  It has only one owner (my wife's aunt).
3.  Pictures are here:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/dNHRCd4Vx7ZpgJy67

I am excited about this journey and look forward to hearing from any/all of you who have also been on this trip to restoring a 1971 280SL. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 02:15:24 by OldGuard60 »

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2022, 21:31:25 »
Looks like a nice honest original car that was carefully used and was drilled for a cellular decklid antenna back in the 80's when car phones became the rage.

I'm tempted to say that a good going over with a wire brush and a vacuum to clean up the trunk floor and application of some POR-15 might be all that is needed to take care of the mess in the trunk.  Undo the two knurled nuts at the base of the "B" post behind the seats and remove the parcel shelves to examine the condition of the metal floor in the cavity hidden under the parcel shelves.  If there is similar rust down in the corners, the same remedy as the trunk floor may be needed.  Both of these areas are worth further inspection from time to time to gauge the efficacy of the remedy and prevent further damage.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2022, 13:27:33 »
Looks like a solid car. very nice. Same color as mine, 467 Sandy Beige! Like it!
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

OldGuard60

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, TX, Houston
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2022, 14:58:24 »
Looks like a nice honest original car that was carefully used and was drilled for a cellular decklid antenna back in the 80's when car phones became the rage.

I'm tempted to say that a good going over with a wire brush and a vacuum to clean up the trunk floor and application of some POR-15 might be all that is needed to take care of the mess in the trunk.  Undo the two knurled nuts at the base of the "B" post behind the seats and remove the parcel shelves to examine the condition of the metal floor in the cavity hidden under the parcel shelves.  If there is similar rust down in the corners, the same remedy as the trunk floor may be needed.  Both of these areas are worth further inspection from time to time to gauge the efficacy of the remedy and prevent further damage.
Thanks Mike.  I will try the POR-15.

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2022, 16:26:08 »
Looks like a great buy as you paid less than 50k.  Very nice.

Regarding the mileage— of course I don’t know for sure but I would think the car has 113k miles vs 13k.  Or the odometer stopped working.  It’s a great car — don’t get me wrong.  The wear on the seat pockets, the wear on the wood between the seats, the wear on the carpet, the repaint (based on overspray) the wear on the heater levers, the hand brake etc, lead me to believe much more use than 13k miles.

Again, just my opinion and nothing more.  You have an amazing buy if rust is limited to trunk as it most likely is due to California life.   Trunk rust is common.  Glad you got it and do hope you drive it and enjoy it vs not wanting to add miles. 

Thanks very much for sharing the photos and following up.  The group appreciates follow up after helping with opinions. 

Enjoy it !

Added note:  once you evaluate the extent of trunk rust and if no perforations or weak spots - you can wire brush, clean, use degreaser such as por 15 degreaser (great stuff) and use por 15 metal prep. At this point I would be very careful if you use por 15 for final as it often looks like a por 15 patch job. I would asses and most likely use an epoxy primer/sealer that is compatible with metal prep ( zinc phosphate) such as PPG, and seal properly.  Then apply paint. For nice car it should look great and not patched up.  Again opinion.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 17:04:35 by kampala »
250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

johnk

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Avon
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2022, 17:06:29 »
Beautiful car. Wish my aunt had one.

Not sure o would start Brushing POR 15 on the trunk surface rust.  From originality standpoint I might try to just remove the rust using a rust remover so you can keep the original paint.
John Krystowski
Avon Ohio
1968 Euro 280sl under restoration
2016 Jag F-Type R sold june 2021
1950 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 SS For sale
2008 E350
2007 GL 450
2019 BMW 540

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2022, 18:15:31 »
Thanks Mike.  I will try the POR-15.

POR-15 is a rust abatement system, not just paint.  Kampala described the various steps of the process much better than I could, and his suggestion for final finish are spot on.  There is ample discussion of the correct trunk paint on these forums.  Search "trunk paint."
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

OldGuard60

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, TX, Houston
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2022, 19:33:17 »
Post a picture of the engine bay, that will tell a lot about the car's history.
Does this work?

OldGuard60

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, TX, Houston
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2022, 19:34:56 »
Does this work?
How about this one?