Author Topic: Is this VIN a Pagota?  (Read 11925 times)

OldGuard60

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, TX, Houston
Is this VIN a Pagota?
« on: February 10, 2022, 00:32:33 »
I was given this VIN 11304412020271.  Is this a Pagota?
Thx

Vander

• Silver
  • USA, OH, Columbus
Re: Is this VIN a Pagota?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2022, 01:14:33 »
Yes, 280SL automatic, left hand drive
1969 280SL

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 06:57:21 »
Hi,
production time August 1970.
...WRe

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2022, 13:44:57 »
It's actually a Pagoda... ;)
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2022, 16:31:47 »
Well, the VIN is. It might be on an MGB ;)
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

OldGuard60

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, TX, Houston
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2022, 02:37:42 »
How do you find out this info?  Where can I go?
Thx

OldGuard60

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, TX, Houston
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2022, 02:41:25 »
Did you find out it's had 3 owners?  I ask because I'm thinking of buying it, but thought it was a 1 owner car.  Only has 13,758 miles on the odometer.  Been in a garage in a high-rise forever I'm told.

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2022, 11:43:36 »
You can start here in the tech manual https://www.sl113.org/wiki/DataCard/Start.  You'll need to log in first.

The car could also have 113,758 miles, unless it has documentation proving it only has 13,758 miles.  Keep in mind that it is also not that difficult to swap speedometers in these cars.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2022, 12:27:48 »
Hi Marcus,

He cannot start there since he is not a Full Member, however, he can once he joints as Full Member.

Hi OldGuard60,

You ask how do we find this out, well we as Full Members have complete access to our site and there is a wealth of information available to us.

Also note that the low adometer reading you have on the car you wish to purchase means very little unless you have maintenance document on the car that would prove the low milage. No one knows if the cars odometer has not seen 100,000 miles/KM and started again from zero!

I recommend you get the car on a lift and have a knowledgeable mechanic check the car (one that knows Pagoda's well). He will be able to tell you how many miles/km the car may have traveled. Also, get a Data Card so you can check for matching numbers. Our website has information on this. So you need to be a full member to have access to all this information, well worth your $30- Investment (less then 0.09 cents per day). Think about that. Our site also has detail PPI (prepurchase inspection) guidelines that will help you to make a decision to purchase the car or not.

Good Luck,

Dieter
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2022, 13:28:14 »
Here is some info regarding the original question:
VIN number
113 = Model W113 = 230,250 280SL (Pagoda)
044 = 280SL (042=230SL, 043=250SL)
1 = Left hand drive (2 = RHD)
2 = Automatic Transmission (0 =Manual)
020271 = serial number

I hope this wasn't too much info revealed to a non-full member.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2022, 13:40:53 »
You can start here in the tech manual https://www.sl113.org/wiki/DataCard/Start.  You'll need to log in first.

The car could also have 113,758 miles, unless it has documentation proving it only has 13,758 miles.  Keep in mind that it is also not that difficult to swap speedometers in these cars.

It is also not the difficult (even easier) to attach a power drill to the speedo shaft and make the car younger in 15 minutes. It indeed is the documents, authentically looking, that will tell you the miles.

Engaging expert is the best you can do.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

OldGuard60

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, TX, Houston
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2022, 13:51:02 »
Thank you very much.  I have joined as a Full Member and am excited to learn all I can about this group and this car.

Now, I plan to contact the shop that serviced the car.  The car was actually owned by my wife's aunt (a very wealthy lady who parked it in a hi-rise garage) who passed away and it has been offered to me for a price.   I am trying to determine if that price is fair, hence the research and questions.

I love the look of the car and it's cool and I would like to have it IF it makes sense.

I certainly appreciate everyone's help/comments/guidance as I embark on this journey...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 13:56:44 by OldGuard60 »

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2022, 13:54:09 »
Ooopps...

Sorry for that power drill...
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

OldGuard60

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, TX, Houston
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2022, 14:00:31 »
Hi Marcus,

He cannot start there since he is not a Full Member, however, he can once he joints as Full Member.

Hi OldGuard60,

You ask how do we find this out, well we as Full Members have complete access to our site and there is a wealth of information available to us.

Also note that the low adometer reading you have on the car you wish to purchase means very little unless you have maintenance document on the car that would prove the low milage. No one knows if the cars odometer has not seen 100,000 miles/KM and started again from zero!

I recommend you get the car on a lift and have a knowledgeable mechanic check the car (one that knows Pagoda's well). He will be able to tell you how many miles/km the car may have traveled. Also, get a Data Card so you can check for matching numbers. Our website has information on this. So you need to be a full member to have access to all this information, well worth your $30- Investment (less then 0.09 cents per day). Think about that. Our site also has detail PPI (prepurchase inspection) guidelines that will help you to make a decision to purchase the car or not.

Good Luck,

Dieter

Hi Dieter,
I just joined and look forward to this journey. 

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2022, 14:02:17 »
Frank,

Welcome to our group you made the right decision. You will meet members from all around the world don’t be shy to ask questions we are a friendly bunch.

Best

Dieter

PS. I will post a PM to you that will give you a head start on our site. Look for it under Messages.  Also I will post a welcoming package to you today.

Thank you very much.  I have joined as a Full Member and am excited to learn all I can about this group and this car.

Now, I plan to contact the shop that serviced the car.  The car was actually owned by my wife's aunt (a very wealthy lady who parked it in a hi-rise garage) who passed away and it has been offered to me for a price.   I am trying to determine if that price is fair, hence the research and questions.

I love the look of the car and it's cool and I would like to have it IF it makes sense.

I certainly appreciate everyone's help/comments/guidance as I embark on this journey...
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2022, 14:19:15 »
My 2c?
If that's truly where it's been living as a 1 owner car, it should be pretty solid/rust free. On which basis, anything you pay is likely to be fair as fixing rust - seen and otherwise - is pricey
If, however, the car is a 4 owner car and prior to your aunt buying it it was a daily driver on salty wet roads.... go carefully!

There's a buyers guide you now have access to, and MotoringInvestments on Youtube did a video buyers guide that's also very good.

Short of an actual on ramp inspection/full documents:
Asssume the engine has been through 114k (since July 1970), and think that at some point it will need a rebuild but if it's been regularly serviced (when in use), that could be some time away. So if there's a decent history file... Arguably better for use than sitting doing <300m a year
Check for rust - closely around the headlamp bowls, trunk floor, lips of the wheel arches and up inside the front wheel well - there's a longitudunal structural "shelf" above and inboard of the front wheels. Put your hand up there, or phone and see what you find.

BUT, if it's been sitting for a while, it'll need a full recomissioning (use our search function) from fuel system to radiator, tyres upwards

If you love the look of the car, it really will never make sense. There's no such thing as a cheap one, and it will end up costing you time/money or both. Sense is buying a Toyota. But life is short and you'll get many more smiles per mile. Stop Making Sense
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

OldGuard60

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, TX, Houston
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2022, 14:27:53 »
Thanks for that.  I am looking for a place to put up a video of it running in just the past 3 weeks or so (my father in law started it up to show it running).  Once I have that done, I will let everyone know so they can hear it themselves.

Vander

• Silver
  • USA, OH, Columbus
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2022, 14:28:43 »
Post a picture of the engine bay, that will tell a lot about the car's history.
1969 280SL

OldGuard60

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, TX, Houston
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2022, 14:33:07 »
Post a picture of the engine bay, that will tell a lot about the car's history.
Unfortunately, I was not in CA to photo the car.  My father in law and wife were there to attend the service and they took the photos I am using. 

OldGuard60

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, TX, Houston
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2022, 14:43:37 »
My 2c?
If that's truly where it's been living as a 1 owner car, it should be pretty solid/rust free. On which basis, anything you pay is likely to be fair as fixing rust - seen and otherwise - is pricey
If, however, the car is a 4 owner car and prior to your aunt buying it it was a daily driver on salty wet roads.... go carefully!

There's a buyers guide you now have access to, and MotoringInvestments on Youtube did a video buyers guide that's also very good.

Short of an actual on ramp inspection/full documents:
Asssume the engine has been through 114k (since July 1970), and think that at some point it will need a rebuild but if it's been regularly serviced (when in use), that could be some time away. So if there's a decent history file... Arguably better for use than sitting doing <300m a year
Check for rust - closely around the headlamp bowls, trunk floor, lips of the wheel arches and up inside the front wheel well - there's a longitudunal structural "shelf" above and inboard of the front wheels. Put your hand up there, or phone and see what you find.

BUT, if it's been sitting for a while, it'll need a full recomissioning (use our search function) from fuel system to radiator, tyres upwards

If you love the look of the car, it really will never make sense. There's no such thing as a cheap one, and it will end up costing you time/money or both. Sense is buying a Toyota. But life is short and you'll get many more smiles per mile. Stop Making Sense
How can I find out if this was a "..4 owner car" or a 1 owner car?  Can I do that using this site as a Full Member?

OldGuard60

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, TX, Houston
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2022, 14:54:51 »
Here is a video to hear it running just 3 weeks ago
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x884xs5
PW:  dailymotion

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2022, 15:04:20 »
Look at the title.  It won't tell you how many previous owners, but it should tell you when your wife's aunt titled the car and the odometer reading at that time.  Compare the current odometer reading to that recorded on the title. If it is higher, and the date on the title is many years or decades ago, then it is possible that the mileage is genuine. If it is lower, the speedometer has rolled over.

Since the subject vehicle is essentially a family-owned vehicle, other family members may be able to fill in some of the blanks for you.  She may have kept a file of service records as well.  In the end, its condition should help you decide if you are going to be the next family member to be its long-term custodian.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2022, 15:10:22 »
It is probably a really nice car, I think you should buy it  :)
That is a good idea from Mike about the mileage on the title documents, if it shows there. If not, the condition of the interior should distinguish a 14k mile car from a 114k mile car. Also a good idea to contact the mechanics if they're still in business.
I don't think there is any easy way to trace the car ownership back. Hopefully there will be some paperwork with the car.
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

OldGuard60

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, TX, Houston
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2022, 15:18:59 »
Given all that I know (and you guys know now), what do you feel would be a good price for it? 

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2022, 15:31:37 »
If the car was offered to you, surely a figure was mentioned.  It might be more productive to get an informed opinion on that figure.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)