Author Topic: Gap Between B-pillars Chrome Covers and Fender  (Read 1536 times)

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
Gap Between B-pillars Chrome Covers and Fender
« on: December 30, 2021, 07:45:06 »
Is there a gap between the B-pillar chrome covers and upper surface of the rear fenders? Do the covers touch upper surface of fenders or there is a 1-2mm gap there?

I just managed to find one picture that shows some gap. I also have some gap there, but perhaps it should not be there?
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Pawel66

• Platinum
Re: Gap Between B-pillars Chrome Covers and Fender
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 15:04:41 »
Let me scope down my question:
1. Is the chrome cover supposed to rest against the top of the edge of the soft top bay (as on Picture 1)?
2. Or is it supposed to go down and rest against the part of edge marked on Picture 2?

In my case I have it as on Picture 1. Bringing it down to the edge would require some adaptation of the soft top basket edge (cutting away about 3mm of the lip that holds upholstery) or to the chrome itself.

As for the door side height - after dismantling the chromes I see that there is a tab in the trunk seal that the chrome rests against - you can push it down to it and fasten the adjustable big screw - then there is no gap between the fender and the chrome.
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

TJMart

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Matthews
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 15:39:53 »
Let me scope down my question:
1. Is the chrome cover supposed to rest against the top of the edge of the soft top bay (as on Picture 1)?
2. Or is it supposed to go down and rest against the part of edge marked on Picture 2?

In my case I have it as on Picture 1. Bringing it down to the edge would require some adaptation of the soft top basket edge (cutting away about 3mm of the lip that holds upholstery) or to the chrome itself.

As for the door side height - after dismantling the chromes I see that there is a tab in the trunk seal that the chrome rests against - you can push it down to it and fasten the adjustable big screw - then there is no gap between the fender and the chrome.

You have it correct as shown in your picture #1. The chrome will rest on the top edge and on the recessed part of the seal. Using the correct big screw and the correct two smaller screws will align the chrome due to the tapered heads of the screws that will be flush to the chrome when tightened. The chrome will rest against the body with no gaps. The soft top cover when closed will hide the interior part of the chrome and should be even with the chrome cover. When I had mine rechromed I purchased new screws as my old ones were all scratched from screw drivers used to remove them.
Tony
1970 280SL, 4 Speed

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 15:58:15 »
Thank you, very helpful!

The big screw with adjustable rectangular nut is clear.

The two smaller screws - are these machine screw type or sheet metal screw type? I see on the parts "tapping screw" - I guess this is the metal sheet screw?
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

TJMart

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Matthews
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 16:14:43 »
Your welcome! Take a look at these links from Authentic Classics. They will give you an idea of what they look like. The smaller screws are a machine screw. They have a unique tapered type thread. Maybe that's why they are called a "tapping screw"?

https://www.authenticclassics.com/CHROME-PLATED-FLAT-HEAD-SCREW-DIN-63-8-X-12-p/auth-008522.htm

https://www.authenticclassics.com/CHROME-PLATED-FLAT-HEAD-MACHINE-SCREW-M5-x-16-p/auth-005262.htm
Tony
1970 280SL, 4 Speed

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 16:57:57 »
Got the idea, thank you again! This is what I have, but not chromed.
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2022, 14:17:55 »
This is what you get from Mercedes today for the 4 self-tapping screws (picture).

As for the big screw, you would get one with allen head and not nice looking.
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class