Author Topic: hardtop restoration  (Read 2044 times)

H. Keith Henry

• Regular
  • USA, VA, Yorktown, Va
hardtop restoration
« on: December 27, 2021, 16:23:02 »
What company do you recommend for a hardtop restoration? I don't see a recent post. I am in Virginia. Bud's Benz? My hardtop is in mostly good condition -- with the paint being excellent -- but I would like for the top to be as nice as the rest of the car.
1970 280 SL, auto, US spec, 050 white with burgundy interior and soft top. Originally special order, white on white on white tex. Manufacturing date May 1970
2002 Mercedes C320 wagon
1989 Honda Civic wagon
1979 MG Midget, original owner

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
Re: hardtop restoration
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2021, 16:37:13 »
Be prepared for sticker shock.  I got a quote from Budz a few years ago to redo my entire top and it came in at around $10K.  Includes all new seals, gaskets, other parts, headliner, rechrome and repaint.  Decided I will do it myself at some point in the future when I have more time.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2021, 18:17:56 »
I just finished restoring mine. I took mine apart when I took the car apart for restoration.  It was hanging from the ceiling for several years while I restored the car.  I did everything on the car except engine rebuild (Metric), body rust repair and repainting, which was done by a nearby vintage body expert.
When the car was finished (mostly), and while Covid 19 had me locked in for the summer, I started the hardtop, which had already been rust repaired and painted along with the car body.  Experts from this site along with the Technical Manual answered questions and provided advice as I encountered ignorance-related problems.
Everything related to the hardtop restoration is possible by a mechanically inclined person acting "alone", if you have a chainfall or another way to turn the top upside down or right side up when it's time.  I did the work on a quilt-covered door laid on a shipping pallet supported by two saw-horses (I'm a cheapskate).
Gernold Nesius' write-up in the Technical Manual was invaluable during the process.
The only problem I had was reinstalling the rear window (not the quarter windows).  I had an aftermarket rear window seal which was dimensionally incorrect (too long on the top segment, just right ont the bottom segment and too short on the two end segments).  In the end, bought a MB-made seal for about 50% more than the aftermarket seal cost and installed the rear window in a matter of an hour or two, alone, including roping-in the seal and installing the chrome.
If you decide to do it yourself and have the confidence, time and patience, you can get lots of help here and probably save half (or more) of the cost of having it done.
Tom Kizer

Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)

TJMart

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Matthews
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2021, 22:10:04 »
What company do you recommend for a hardtop restoration? I don't see a recent post. I am in Virginia. Bud's Benz? My hardtop is in mostly good condition -- with the paint being excellent -- but I would like for the top to be as nice as the rest of the car.

I have heard that White Post Restorations does excellent work and they are located in Virginia. It would save you many $$ just in shipping alone. Buds Benz is not cheap so maybe shop around first.
Tony
1970 280SL, 4 Speed

johnk

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Avon
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2021, 03:05:35 »
I am finishing mine up now and find the most challenging part being the headliner installation without any wrinkles on the sides. 
John Krystowski
Avon Ohio
1968 Euro 280sl under restoration
2016 Jag F-Type R sold june 2021
1950 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 SS For sale
2008 E350
2007 GL 450
2019 BMW 540

AB

• Junior Level
  • USA, GA, Atlanta
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2022, 16:17:17 »
I'm starting my hardtop restoration and everyone mentions Gernold Nesius' write-up in the star but have not been able to find it.  MBCA archive online doesn't go that far back.  Any idea where I can find the Star articular or is it the same as the Teck Manual?

I have a neighbor who helps me flip the top.  Very helpful to have four hands.
1970 280SL, Anthracite Grey Metallic, Light Grey Metallic Top
Shed fined not run in ten years.  Acquired in Oct 2015

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2022, 16:57:31 »
The "search" is your friend:

https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Tops/HardTop

FYI - I used "hard top restoration Gernold" (without the quotes) and it was the first hit.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2022, 18:21:37 »
I just had my hard top restored over the past year or so. For most of its life, it sat on a hoist above the car when my uncle had it; when the car was put to rest in 1985 (it's last prior registration when I got it) the hard top had been fitted. When I had the car restored 1999-2000, I didn't suspect I'd want to use the hard top, so didn't bother to restore it. When we moved from Michigan to NC two years ago, I took the hard top up to my restoration/service shop (Motorwerks in Commerce Township, MI) and they did it for me. I got the headliner from Heritage Upholstery & Trim. All the chrome needed to be replated, and there were some small missing pieces. The hard top wood was refinished by a local friend specializing in piano restoration, and he matched the all new wood I got for the entire car from Authentic Classics. The handles had their chrome replated and they were dyed back to a deep black to match the rest of the car's interior bits and door pull. All the windows were removed, and new rubber seals were put in.

The entire hard top was sitting on it's back edge for nearly 20 years; leaning against a wall in my basement. I don't know if that caused an issue, but that part of the top needed a bit of work by the skilled body guys at Motorwerks. Some plastic parts on the lock down levers needed to be replaced. A number of small little bits and fasteners as well.

Happy I had it done, but now nowhere to really put it!
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

H. Keith Henry

• Regular
  • USA, VA, Yorktown, Va
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2022, 03:55:49 »
I've taken Tony/TJMart's advice and arranged to have my hardtop restored by White Post Restorations, White Post, Va. I will be delivering it via my Pagoda in April. About a three hour drive one way. In order to get in line -- they are busy -- I sent them their required $5,000 deposit.
1970 280 SL, auto, US spec, 050 white with burgundy interior and soft top. Originally special order, white on white on white tex. Manufacturing date May 1970
2002 Mercedes C320 wagon
1989 Honda Civic wagon
1979 MG Midget, original owner

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2022, 12:38:29 »
Nice big garage. Ceiling is pretty high for hanging a hardtop, but perhaps something on a wall?

Big all right! The photos are from the restoration shop—Motorwerks—not my garage.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid