Author Topic: Heater control lever stuck  (Read 1456 times)

Ant69280sl

• Inactive
  • Junior Level
  • USA, NJ, Old Bridge
Heater control lever stuck
« on: December 21, 2021, 21:46:17 »
Does the bottom lever on the heater controls move??...mine is stuck??

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
Re: Heater control lever stuck
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2021, 15:37:39 »
Yes, it should move.  There are two lower ones.  Does the other work?  They do get sticky if you don't move them regularly.  There is a push/pull wire inside a coiled wire sleeve.  If a little bit of corrosion or detritus get in there, it can bind.  If the flap it controls is stuck, that can cause it as well.  Don't use brut force.  Breaking the lever is an expensive result.  does the top left one work well?  That one often sticks because the water valve to the heater core sticks.  Pack your patience if you decide to go after the repair under the dash.
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2021, 16:55:39 »
Mine were stuck solid after sitting for years so I got a cable oiler from my motorcycle and forced penetrating oil (liquid wrench I think) in between the outer and inner over a period of a couple weeks and eventually the cable started to move.   then I use cable lubricant again from my motorcycle shelf.  Don't use WD-40, that turns into a goo over time.

The important thig is to take your time and don't force the lever - a little movement is all you need to get the oils down there and then work them in and as long as the flap isn't shut you should be fine - don't force anything.... 

I took me a few weeks to get mine working -  every couple days I would spray the cables and try to move the lever. 

I took my glove box out and then the radio to get some working space. 

Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50

230slhouston

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2021, 22:49:58 »
 I just posted pictures on this. did not see this post. I could have added to this.

boterinse9

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, IL, marengo
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2021, 15:00:13 »
Try with engine warmed up. worked for me do it slow I used Super Zilla on the cable. somiting new..

1970 280 SL Silver Automatic

1976 300D White

2012 C300 4matic
2004 chevy Silverado

specracer

• Senior
  • USA, MA, Duxbury

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2021, 02:19:29 »
Try with engine warmed up. worked for me do it slow.
Many times controls that "frozen" will free up when the coolant comes to temperature. Don't force movement, just a little at a time can work wonders. Try to prevent future problems by regularly exercising the controls even in summertime.