Author Topic: I am a new member, and am very interested in buying a Pagoda...  (Read 2155 times)

Papicharlie

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, CT, Riverside
But the question is, "Where do I start??!". 
I live in the USA (Connecticut), and I recently found your site and thought that it would be a great place to get help looking for reputable resources to begin my search for my dream 280SL.   

Any thoughts are most welcome and appreciated.
Thank you!

PS.  If this "Discussion area" is not the right place to ask, please forgive me, it is my first time posting as a new member :)

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton
  • Audit Committee
Re: I am a new member, and am very interested in buying a Pagoda...
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2021, 21:09:52 »
Welcome to the Pgoda Group.

The first thing i would do is join as a Full Member for $30 pa

The second thing i would do is have a very good read around the Technical Manual to get familiar with these cars and particularly on how to buy. See here. https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Buying/Start

And thirdly I would then place a post in the Wanted to Buy area for what you are looking for.

But i am a bit biased as a Membership Administrator 😁😁👋

Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

mnahon

• Silver
  • Canada, QC, Montreal
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2021, 21:31:59 »
Here's the first of a 6-part buyer's guide to get you oriented:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAepqGg3LnA
Meyer Nahon
Montreal, Canada
1968 MB 280SL Auto Euro LHD Silver
2021 Tesla Model 3

teahead

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, WA, Des Moines
  • aka "Rob"
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2021, 21:57:57 »
Color?

Automatic or Manual?

Need AC?

Budget?

Buy the most rust-free one you can find.
1970 280SL auto, AC - aka "Edelweiss"

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2021, 22:12:28 »
Really nothing more to add. Buying a W113 SL in today's market is not something you can educate yourself about in a week's time. And while a forum like this here can be very helpful, many members own their cars for quite some time and bought them decades ago, when the car was either still new or just a "used car".
There are many pitfalls you are prone to expose yourself to, if you make a decision without knowing in detail what you want and what you must look for once you find a potential purchase.
Prices can range from $40,000 to $250,000, depending on the condition, the marketplace and the seller.
I used to own a Porsche 914-6GT in the 70s and when I decided to go back and get one again, it took me 5 years to find the right one and then that was a coincidence.
I do not envy you! Good luck, and make sure you follow all and any advice the experienced members her can give you.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2021, 07:25:39 »
Counter to the above (cal - coupe aside) auto/manual is the biggest call. You can fix colour if you really need to (but there’s no really bad ones), you can install a/c if you need.

Look at many and buy the best you can afford: work on the principle that there’s no such thing as a cheap Pagoda.
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

john.mancini

• Gold
  • USA: Nokomis, FL and Chatham, MA
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2021, 12:17:10 »
I will echo JamesL, "Buy the best one that you can afford". Stay away from cars with rust or accidents in their history, (unless they've had a meticulous restoration by someone who really knows what they are doing.)
John
68 280SL 906 Blue 4-sp
69 280SL 906 Blue
70 280SL 904 Blue
70 280SL 571 Red
70 280SL 040 Black 4-sp
66 230SL 162 Blue/Grey 
68 280SL 568 Red 4-sp
69 280SL 304 Horizon Blue
65 230SL 519 Red 4-sp
83 911SC
98 911 cab
56 Ford F100
08 RS60
62 Corvette Fuelie
66 GT350H
67 GT350
70 LT1 conv

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2021, 14:26:41 »
And don't limit yourself to the 280SL.  Good luck with your research and search.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2021, 15:40:52 »
But the question is, "Where do I start??!". 
I live in the USA (Connecticut)

Hello Charlie,

First thing first: are you serious? Do you have the means to buy and maintain a Pagoda, a place to store and work on such a car, and the mettle to involve a part of your life in this? I don't think you can quickly answer those questions, but to start, I'd invest in some books, and spend this winter reading them, and familiarizing yourself with the car and its history.

A number of books covering the Pagoda from a historical and technical perspective can be found on both Amazon and eBay, used and new. Many of them will be covering the broader postwar SL line, starting with the 300SL Gullwing and Roadsters, on to the 190SL and then to the Pagoda series. Time spent learning about all of these predecessors will not be wasted. I could give you some of the titles, but I don't want to impose my library (it's extensive) on you; best to learn to research on Amazon and eBay and find a set of books to get and read.  While you are learning about the car, spend time here as well, and you'll learn more about some of the technical challenges our members face on a daily basis, the sources for parts, refurbishment and service.

(Note: prior to my inheriting a Pagoda, I was interested in a British sports car of the 60s or 70s. I decided a Triumph Stag would be very cool. Until I bought a couple of books on it and read the reality of what a challenge it would be to own one...)

Since you are in the Greenwich area, look up other members here in the greater NY area, and see if they are willing to show off their car to you next spring once they emerge from hibernation. Not too many in the northeast are used all year. Attend some local car shows and seek them out: not all Pagoda owners are members here. Make some calls and see if SL Tech in Maine or Automotive Restorations in CT have any for sale, and would accommodate a visit. Call Dave Tobin at Tobin Motor Works in the Finger Lakes area and ask if he has any in his showroom.

Armed with some of this knowledge you can then begin an earnest search...as others have pointed out it may take some time to find one that speaks to you.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

cfm65@me.com

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Mossel Bay, South Africa
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2021, 17:11:30 »
Good luck, Charlie.
I am not being sarcastic. It is well ment encouragement. In the last 40 years, I have owned 4 of these lovely cars.
Regards
Chris
Cape Town
28 Ford Model A Pickup
29 Chevy Phaeton
67 E Type FHC
67 250SL 5 speed
83 911SC
2015 VW T5 California Pop Top

bigbobbeach

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, CA, ESCONDIDO
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2021, 02:19:02 »
This is a long road.
I’m in the process of purchasing my dream-- since I was polishing my Dad's 1970 280sl (sadly lost).

I think MAYBE after 2 years I might have found one, but I’m having it inspected because that is the sensible thing to do.

You have to balance value/love/passion at the same time. You may love a certain year/color, but does it need just too much work?

Then look at your age, and do you have a garage space to work in?

SL’s range from 20-over 250K. Personally I think the 250K + cars (unless you are looking for show quality) are not worth it. They are mostly just sitting on it waiting for buyers with more money than sense (IMOHO).

Educate yourself, and look at body styles.
Do you want manual or automatic? Manual 4 or 5(premium)
What year? Manufacture year vs registration year.
So many questions, you could fill a book!
Then go for your passion..Good luck and happy hunting!

68_white

• Senior
  • USA, TX, Houston
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2021, 08:00:00 »
If I am a first time buyer, I would first set myself reasons for ownership. What do I want to do with the car? Enjoy driving it, or take it only to shows and keep it for future appreciation? If you want to enjoy and drive the car frequently, don't invest a lot of money on a nearly perfect car. OK to have a not so good car and you will not spend a ton of money. But if you want a show car, be prepared to cough up over $100k for a good one. Are you planning on keeping it for a long time? Then be prepared to pay for needed repairs on rough driver. If you want perfection, there are dealers/restorers that most likely have the perfect car for you. Good luck.
HARRY

1970 280SL RED
2002 E430 SILVER
1996 911 BLUE