Author Topic: Convertible Top Dilemma  (Read 1679 times)

gtait

• Regular
  • Sooke, BC Canada
Convertible Top Dilemma
« on: November 09, 2021, 20:30:20 »
I am hoping someone can help me with information about my new convertible top.

I have a 1964 230SL built in late 1963 which has the wooden bow with the chrome garnish. I am having a new top which I acquired from KLM installed by a professional. My upholster tells me that the top they sent me is for the later version of frame with the metal rear bow. The supplier was aware of the year and was given the serial number as they had to make the old-style seat covers and panels at the same time.

My upholster is reaching out to KLM in the morning to find out if it is possible to use the top sent with the wooden bow, but in the meantime, I thought I would ask if anyone else has encounter this problem and fitted the new style top to the older style frame?
Your help would be much appreciated.

Gil
Gil
1964 230SL Standard

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
Re: Convertible Top Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2021, 16:00:24 »

Hello Gil,

Yes, a very common problem. 'They promise' it will be the correct one but you receive a general part.
Don't worry. This is generally possible to place a later pre-sewn softtop canvas onto an earlier frame with the upper wooden bow. On my '64 the same was performed. My canvas was from GAHH, ordered for the VIN as well, and I received the "one-fits-it all" solution.

Your upholsterer should check the proper fit of the ST canvas first.
Finally, the chrome strip with its nails can be applied through the newer ST canvas into the wooden bow; only a very well-trained eye would see the difference.
But check for the proper fit of the canvas first. Mine was a bit tight at the rear ends.

Good luck

Achim
Achim
(Germany)

gtait

• Regular
  • Sooke, BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2021, 23:57:40 »
Thank you Achim. The fitter has figured it out. His latest question was about the trim on the front bow. So I am now looking for one of your past posts on the subject which I saw a few weeks ago. LOL.
Gil
1964 230SL Standard

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2021, 19:54:19 »

Trim on the front bow?
Which trim do you mean? The both countersunk screws??
 :o ???

Best,
Achim

Achim
(Germany)

gtait

• Regular
  • Sooke, BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2021, 20:42:28 »
I guess I gave a bad description of what I meant. I was referring to the vinyl covering that is directly under the front of the softtop. It is about 3” wide. I read a post a few weeks ago and was trying find it again. That post discussed what the colour this part should be for early models.  My is a 64 built in late 63.

Gil
Gil
1964 230SL Standard

Sead

• Vendor
  • Senior
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina, Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2021, 16:55:52 »
I guess I gave a bad description of what I meant. I was referring to the vinyl covering that is directly under the front of the softtop. It is about 3” wide. I read a post a few weeks ago and was trying find it again. That post discussed what the colour this part should be for early models.  My is a 64 built in late 63.

Gil
Early cars if delivered with leather have had leather also on the front on Soft Top as well as on HT.
Just done this on my HT.
Sead
1964 230SL

gtait

• Regular
  • Sooke, BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2021, 06:53:47 »
Sead

This is exactly what I am looking for.

Thank you

Gil