Author Topic: Fire!  (Read 4465 times)

BobH

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, MALDON
Re: Fire!
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2022, 16:37:41 »
Airlines probably class all extinguishers as dangerous goods, as they assume they are stored pressure containers

If dropped an extinguisher could explode, hence why it needs to be securely fitted in a bracket or clamp, so it doesn't roll around

Perfectly safe when correctly fitted, but you wouldn't want it rolling around or dropped in an airline cargo hold

From looking at the data sheet of the Element extinguisher, they are not stored pressure, but the airlines and carriers probably just apply a blanket exclusion and won't carry them, perhaps Element need to educate them

"Element is composed of stable, solid minerals; it does not contain gas and is not
pressurized. The aerosol-like jet is only produced when the charger is struck with its
base. The produced aerosol jet is free of thrust and is essentially an inert salt that emits
gas already present in the atmosphere"
February 1965 230SL Automatic
UK delivered RHD
Papyrus white, blue hard top & hub caps
Blue soft top
Blue leather

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2022, 17:47:25 »
"Element is certified for international transport by surface (land or sea) only. Any method of shipping that involves air (including personal or checked baggage on commercial aircraft) is prohibited by national and international safety regulations. For this reason we only ship Element by surface transportation methods and do not offer express shipping options."

MSDS Data Sheet: https://firesafetystick.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/ESP-FSS-MSDS-EN-REV-5-February-1-2018.pdf

Primary ingredients: potassium nitrate, dicyandiamide (DCDA) and [unspecified] organic resin.

I wouldn't want this going off in a plane. Neither would I want any fire extinguisher of any type going off in a plane. Despite the "non-toxic" claims in the video, there are plenty of warnings on the MSDS sheet. As far as I can tell, something "ignites" and releases large amounts of nitrogen, from the DCDA and Potassium Nitrate; that's what extinguishes flames. Things that ignite in any manner are generally ill advised on air transport.

Sounds like a fabulous fire extinguisher...but not for transport on a plane.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 18:07:29 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

rosemeyer

• Inactive
  • Junior Level
  • Canada, Ontario, Toronto
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2022, 20:16:32 »
Regarding air transport, a normal extinguisher is also considered Hazardous Goods but for a different reason (different hazard class) than ours is.

As it happens, the Element can be carried aboard commercial and passenger aircraft but not without a considerable amount of paperwork beforehand and also not without a substantial surcharge for handling. Because neither of these things are practical for small volume retail or personal shipments we simply apply a blanket prohibition to this method of transport. Ground or sea are the only options.

Within our sales territory this poses problems for us in Hawaii and in Puerto Rico where we are unable to send customer orders cost-effectively. In both these places we are working to identify trade partners who can carry stock and we hope to have options available in the coming months.

Kind Regards,
Paul

Kevkeller

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Honolulu
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2022, 23:41:36 »
I fly cargo. Given the choice I’d fly the Element around all day rather than the hundred thousand lithium batteries we fill up with in China. We’ve already lost a 747 and DC-8 to lithium batteries. Two lives lost.

Dumbass regulations.
1970 280 SL

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2022, 01:18:55 »
If you do decide to carry a conventional ABC extinguisher make sure it has a metal head and a metal pin.  I watched a very tall friend go for a ride in a buddies Corvette.  When he got in he immediately pushed the seat all the way back which crushed the extinguisher behind the passenger seat and set it off.  Luckily, the windows were down and all we ended up with was a mess and a funny memory. 

Chris Long

• Senior
  • USA, NJ, Morristown
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2022, 18:16:59 »
1970 280sl 4-Speed Horizon Blue

John Betsch - "SADIE"

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Silver
  • USA, NY, SOUTHOLD
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2022, 21:14:33 »
All the discussion about fires prompted me to purchase some Element fire sticks.

Thinking it should be readily accessible, I looked for some ideas - and our drivers seat have a small restraining bracket in the middle/lower/front.  It was as simple as changing the existing screw to a longer one and connecting the provided element bracket. Simple and easy (picture is upside down, dont know how to change)

jb
JB; 1965 German market SL, Rot Met 571, Summary Code 213 Interior

Kevkeller

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Honolulu
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2022, 22:07:44 »
It’s probably one size fits all thinking. No logic in so many regulations these days. None whatsoever.  Especially with all this COVID crap. We are drowning in bureaucracy in the western world.
Example… pilots cannot carry scissors in our luggage. Meanwhile we have a crash ax in the cockpit. Pure insanity.
1970 280 SL