Author Topic: I'm not getting any spark - ignition issues  (Read 1352 times)

ghebert4189

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, San Rafael
I'm not getting any spark - ignition issues
« on: October 13, 2021, 17:32:21 »
Good morning,

I have just got my 1971 280 SL back on the road. It had been running pretty good until yesterday. I have been trying to get it to start, and it turns over great but does not seem to be generating any spark (I can smell the gas).

Any idea's what I can check? Are there any fuses associated with the ignition?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 17:36:26 by ghebert4189 »

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
Re: I'm not getting any spark - ignition issues
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 19:37:07 »
If you have points, check to see if they have closed up.  When a car sits for a while any lubricant on the distributor cam and the rubbing block on the points set dries up.  When the engine is run again after the lubricant has dried up the rubbing block wears down rapidly due to this lack of lubrication.  Reset the points gap and put a little dielectric grease on the cam and rubbing block.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

jim 56

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, NY, Bellerose
Re: I'm not getting any spark - ignition issues
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 19:50:24 »
Not an expert far from it.It seems that you don't know if you are getting spark.Hold the wire from coil to ground (about 1/4 inch away)wear heavy gloves and crank the engine. You should see a spark jump to ground.What helped me was a device I bought for only a few dollars that you can insert into the wires and you can see the spark.Thenyou can go from there no spark check points etc. See tech manual.You said you can smell gas have you thought about the possibilty that the engine is flooded?