Author Topic: Flummoxed by charging light  (Read 1355 times)

lowpad

• Senior
  • USA, CT, New Preston
Flummoxed by charging light
« on: October 13, 2021, 14:47:10 »
The charging light on my 230SL recently came on, bright at low rpms and almost gone at high rpms.  Battery is 6 months old, as is alternator (Bosch rebuilt unit).  Swapped out the regulator, checked all the wiring -- nothing obvious.  Assumed it must be the alternator and replaced it with another rebuilt unit.  Problem is still there, although a little less pronounced.  And for some reason, my turn signals are now flashing intermittently (light comes on, doesn't blink).  What am I missing that could be cause?  And is there is any possible connection to the blinker issue, or just it just need a new relay?  Thanks for any forensic suggestions! 
1966 230SL (6/66 build)
French export
4-speed manual
158 Exterior / 040 Hardtop
2001 SLK230
1996 Porsche 993
1991 Acura NSX

lpeterssen

• Vendor
  • Gold
  • USA, FL, Miami
Re: Flummoxed by charging light
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 00:33:47 »
Dear friend

I think that both issues are not related.  Change the flasher relay and let’s see how it behaves.

One question.  Your alternator is internally regulated or externally?  I mean do you have 1 huge wire coming out of your alternator and three minor wires for a total of 4 leads?

If the answer is yes, clean all the connections for the thinner wires at the alternator and at the black or silver box outside it.

The charging signal wire is the blue one, pay attention to its terminals at both side (alternator and external voltage regulator).

It s a good idea if yo have never serviced your wiring harness to check it out in detail.  Specially pay attention to the charging circuit loom. 

In all the wire harness I have serviced so far, always the T30 main cable insulation is damaged or compromised in many places.

Best regards
L.peterssen