Author Topic: Accessing the back of the cigarette lighter  (Read 2161 times)

ChrisInNashville

• Silver
  • USA, TN, Nashville
Accessing the back of the cigarette lighter
« on: October 10, 2021, 14:58:48 »
I’m trying to replace my cigarette lighter and can follow guidance in other threads to do that once I get behind it. But, I’m struggling to find easy access to the rear mounts.  I have an A/C. 

Do I have to remove:
  • Glove box, then
  • The clock, then
  • The radio
To get behind it and unmount it Or Is there a more direct path?
‘69 280 SL
‘24 GLE450e
Tennessee, USA

paults1

• Senior
  • USA, FL, The Villages
Re: Accessing the back of the cigarette lighter
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 05:39:53 »
I just replaced the my lighter on 10/10/21 . I did the following: remove the lower leather panels under the glove box & center panel, remove the glove box & place it on box so you don't mess up the wire connection for the glove box, do this because you must pull the electric plug from the clock, because the wire of the clock plug is short, next remove the chrome strip on the center section where the clock, radio and lighter is, remove the the two screws that hold center section then pull it straight it which includes the lighter, radio & clock out a to give you room to replace the lighter, spray some lube on the back of the lighter to unscrew the the nut that holds the lighter bracket You need to look at the Tech Manual to see the procedure for re-assembling the lighter itself.  Some replacement lighters are different, the one I had last year from Authentic Classics was about 1/8 or 1/4 inch too long so the the mounting bracket would not make  contact with the back of the center section to create a ground.  I bought one from e bay for W113 & it is the correct one. It works! About 2 hours.

ChrisInNashville

• Silver
  • USA, TN, Nashville
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 09:16:37 »
Thank you.  Out of curiosity, do you have air conditioning?   I’m trying to avoid removing the A/C…
‘69 280 SL
‘24 GLE450e
Tennessee, USA

paults1

• Senior
  • USA, FL, The Villages
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 11:20:11 »
I do not have A/C.  Will the A/C prevent the center leather piece from being taken off.  I don't completely remove it. it just hands there because I don't remove the cabin light wires. Hope this helps.

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 14:00:51 »
I'm curious as to why you are replacing the cigarette lighter.  There is nothing in the "base" of it that would go bad...
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

paults1

• Senior
  • USA, FL, The Villages
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2021, 17:06:26 »
Good Question, The one I replaced would blow the fuse when I pushed the Lighter in. The new one does not do that.

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2021, 17:12:59 »
Good Question, The one I replaced would blow the fuse when I pushed the Lighter in. The new one does not do that.
Instantly blow the fuse?  I wonder if that was the lighter portion rather than the base...
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

paults1

• Senior
  • USA, FL, The Villages
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 19:13:53 »
Instant, I had a spare Lighter and it also blew the fuse. Both Lighters are good they work in the new unit.

ChrisInNashville

• Silver
  • USA, TN, Nashville
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2021, 06:43:46 »
Same problem here. When pushed in, the lighter blows the fuse instantly whether it’s the lighter or a phone charger.
‘69 280 SL
‘24 GLE450e
Tennessee, USA

Tyler S

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2021, 14:59:00 »
This usually happens when a cigarette lighter charging adapter is used. If the adapter is twisted while inserted it will bend the B+ tangs and short them out on the socket housing. Then the next time it is used they will continue to short out. You may be able to look inside and bend them back into their proper position. Disconnect the battery first.
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)