Author Topic: significance of chassis number  (Read 1321 times)

Pete Franklin

• Junior Level
  • Ireland, Munster, Limerick
significance of chassis number
« on: October 05, 2021, 18:27:51 »
Hi all,
I've heard that chassis numbers were more or less randomly allocated. I'm not sure if this could be the case. I note my 230 (RHD) has chassis number 00100 and is supported by corresponding numbers on the bonnet etc. Does anyone know if chassis number 00100 has particular significance? Apologies if a similar discussion has been covered in great detail before.
Thanks for reading!
P
230SL RHD
280SL RHD
300SE Cabriolet RHD

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
Re: significance of chassis number
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 18:40:24 »
i would have thought that a good place to start is Technical Manual\Data Cards and Codes. You have a section on Paint Code Plate (or similar name used). It explains what is body number and what significance it has.

They were not necessarily given at random. And yes, part of the body number is there on various parts of the car.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 20:12:46 »
I don't know where this theory comes from, but I don't know of any vehicle manufacturer who assigns chassis numbers "at random".
Each manufacturer has their own "system" to have chassis numbers that could contain information about model, year of production, place of production, some options/configurations etc. The last digits are usually a "serial number" and are assigned sequentially. This means a vehicle that has a chassis number ending in ...0101 was made after one that has a number ending in 0100.
In case of the W113, the "chassis/VIN number" is not the same as the "body number". If your VIN ends in "0100" and 0100 is stamped on the hood, it is either a very rare coincidence or someone tried to "fiddle' something to make it look authentic.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

Pete Franklin

• Junior Level
  • Ireland, Munster, Limerick
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 23:55:50 »
Thanks both. Think my next best step is to order a data card!
230SL RHD
280SL RHD
300SE Cabriolet RHD