Author Topic: Bicycles, too...  (Read 7958 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Bicycles, too...
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2023, 16:27:37 »
I did a restomod of a Moulton Mk3 about 10 years ago. Stripped it bare, rebuilt the whole thing with all new modern parts after powdercoating the frame. It was quite straightforward apart from the bottom bracket. Raleigh had bought Moulton at that point and decided on the weirdest sizing (pretty much unique) for the BB. Took me ages to work up a solution (oddly, from the US)
Yes, I regret selling it, as now I'd put a Brompton E conversion on the front wheel

The Moultons are somewhat of a cult item I believe. Very rare to see anything like that around here, certainly not in Michigan where I lived and not here in North Carolina where bicycling is quite big.

Even rebuilding the Moulton would have been completely straightforward had you known a couple of key pieces of information: first, Raleigh rarely followed any kind of industry standards, they had their own. They were so entrenched in their "proprietary-ness" that there was little reason to ever change...what for? So people could toss inferior components in lieu of better ones?  The second piece of information critical would be that a Raleigh bottom bracket assembly used a 26TPI proprietary threading. You eventually figured that out. Just a bit harder to find I suppose. I got started in the 70s when a Raleigh 3-speed was a nice touring bike for general around town use. Parts were easy to find. But there was Raleigh parts and then everything else.

Today, with the prevalence of eBikes, all manner of Mountain Bikes, etc. the old and few simple standards are far more plentiful and complex. Dozens upon dozens of components and proprietary fitments.

That item you mentioned James, the Brompton Ebike conversion has be intrigued. I'll have to see if I can find one of their wheels to fit my Trek. No room for any additional bikes in my garage, and I like my Trek. I've ridden plenty of eBikes, and while they are nice they are good at being eBikes and not so good in the regular bike performance!
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
Re: Bicycles, too...
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2023, 20:12:42 »
The Brompton is their brand but it’s an https://www.arccbikes.com/ unit.

There’s also Swytch who do a universal (front wheel hub motor)
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather