Author Topic: Auto to 5 speed manual conversion  (Read 1759 times)

gordon

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Burntwood
Auto to 5 speed manual conversion
« on: September 27, 2021, 17:22:54 »
A lot of the rebuild is now done, just need to sort the electrics now relating to the change. The kick down switch won't be needed, the neutral switch could be set in neutral unless I use it for security and I've closed off the gearbox vacuum on the manifold.

Are there other issues that I need to look at?

lpeterssen

• Vendor
  • Gold
  • USA, FL, Miami
Re: Auto to 5 speed manual conversion
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 18:33:14 »
Dear Gordon

I would recommend to disconnect those cable feeds at the fuse box.  Is not good to have positive leads energized and not connected even if you apply any kind of electrical isolation to the cable ends.

List:

1. Kick down switch, the positive lead is cable, RED/black stripe coming from fuse 3.
2. Positive feed to Iddle Swicth.  Cable RED/black also coming from fuse 3.  The return lead from Iddle switch is BROWN/white
3. Iddle Increase selenoid, cable BLACK/green/red coming from fuse no.5

Confirm each cable before disconnecting from fuse box by using a continuity test to the corresponding end at the accessory itself. Remember these cables are old and the Colour stripping is not always perfectly visible.

If you disconnect those 3 leads at the fuse box, by means of cutting the cables or removing the oring connector from the fuse box terminal screw you will be on the safe side.   None of the other cables that service the automatic transmission will have any power.  In any case there will be just ground signals on some of them.

Regarding the Parking/neutral reverse light terminal.
=================================

You  have to re route the cables responsible for the return /reverse light signal, which are the gray/yellow and black/yellow/red (feed 12v from fuse 5) to the new reverse light switch at the manual transmission gearbox.

The cables for the starter selenoid signal, violet/white (input) and violet (output) must be joined together or passed through as you mention a starter killer switch ( remember large enough to handle this load, about 12 A or more).

Best regards
Eng.Leonardo Peterssen

gordon

• Senior
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 20:23:23 »
 Hi Leonardo, thanks for your quick and helpful response. I'll disconnect the feeds as you suggest.

Thanks, Gordon

lpeterssen

• Vendor
  • Gold
  • USA, FL, Miami
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 21:05:04 »
Your welcome

gordon

• Senior
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2021, 17:05:34 »
I am told by Wre ( in answer to another question regarding a throttle switch) that in converting my automatic 1964 230 SL to manual that I won't need the throttle switch. Can someone please advise me what other modifications I need to make.

Thanks everyone

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2021, 23:29:14 »

Yes...,
WRe is correct, you won't need the throttle switch anymore.
Most important is that you carefully get your crank properly balanced with the new flywheel.
Then you need all the parts in order to convert to stick shift.
Good luck with this conversion. ;)

Achim

Achim
(Germany)

gordon

• Senior
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2021, 09:18:49 »
Hi Achim, yes the clutch and flywheel assembly have been balanced to the the crank, pistons and rods match weighted. Pedal box etc all installed, almost ready to fire up.
I've converted carburettor auto cars to manual before but not fuel injected hence my indecision in this case. Do I simply insulate the wires which went to the auto box or does the loom need to be reconfigured.

Any guidance would be much appreciated, Gordon