Author Topic: Soft top internal mechanism - can you point me in the right direction please?  (Read 1610 times)

Paul99

• Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Hampshire UK
  • 230 SL White. 1966.
My 230 1966 soft-top is the original.  It sort of works but there are a few bit missing I feel! I only drive with the top down unless I get caught out with sudden rain.

There are two bullet type looking objects each side with a spring loaded end- how do they work?  Also I think there were some wires attached - both have since long gone.

Can someone point me to the place in the manual which shows where the wires go, what they do etc, and what the bullet like attachments do please?

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
(98 from the end of production)
DB180 Silver Gray Metallic
Black MB Tex

Paul99

• Silver
  • 230 SL White. 1966.
thanks, but this doesn't show how the wires are attached, or how to fit them.

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
I am thinking the only wires on the soft top are the ones that run along the sides to keep it taut. Pictures of the areas would help
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
Black MB Tex

Paul99

• Silver
  • 230 SL White. 1966.
that's them..... how do you attach the wires to the soft top frame?

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
One end of the wire has a eye loop connector that is fastened at the front inside corner of the soft top with a screw (with cup washer) that shows from the outside (see first photo). The wire runs through a channel on the inside edge of the side of the soft top and exits through a hole in the frame (see second photo) and then continues further down the next segment of the frame, where it is attached through a screw and washer (hole in the screw for wire (see third photo) with nut, and pulled taught. After tightening the nut on the screw, additional wire is stashed in a slot below the screw attachment point (fourth photo).
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 21:40:08 by GM »
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
Black MB Tex

Paul99

• Silver
  • 230 SL White. 1966.
perfect.  Many thanks. !