Author Topic: 230 si starter and alternator wires  (Read 2553 times)

gordon

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Burntwood
230 si starter and alternator wires
« on: August 15, 2021, 16:50:27 »
Hi again. I'm reassembling my 230 after a 3 year distraction. At both the starter motor and alternator I have a spare wire which goes to ground as shown on pictures. Are they needed?

lpeterssen

• Vendor
  • Gold
  • USA, FL, Miami
Re: 230 si starter and alternator wires
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 18:07:09 »
Dar Gordon

Let me help you. See attached pictures with markings.

1. STARTER

The red circled lead is the T50 terminal that gives the starter solenoid the activation signal from your ignition switch when in the cranking position.

2. ALTERNATOR
Cables circled in yellow are not needed since you have upgraded your car with an internally voltage regulated alternator. Those brown, black and the cable which is connected red with blue stripe are the reminiscences from your old alternator with external regulation.  Check that you have no external voltage regulation and wrap back this cables.  (Brown and black) If you want a more profesional look open your wire harness on that section from alternator to prior voltage regulator and eliminate those cables.  Just make sure that blue cable which is coming from instrument cluster and joints the red/blue cable at the external voltage regulator remains alive. You still need that particular one (blue to red/blue) in order to know if alternator works or not.

Best regards
L.peterssen

gordon

• Senior
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 19:24:19 »
Thanks for your quick response. Are you saying that the spare lead on the starter ( which goes to ground) should attach to another terminal on the starter?
Re the alternator, I'll get rid of the spare wire.

Thanks Gordon

gordon

• Senior
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2021, 21:22:38 »
Ok, got it ,thanks for your help, best wishes