Author Topic: REMOVED - PRIVATE SELLER: 1966 MERCEDES 230SL for sale in Atlanta GA  (Read 3520 times)

enthusiast113GA

Private Seller in Atlanta, GA:  1966 Mercedes 230SL for sale in Atlanta, GA.

Sale listing removed.

Repeat. Sale listing removed.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 10:18:08 by enthusiast113GA »

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
Re: PRIVATE SELLER: 1966 MERCEDES 230SL for sale in Atlanta GA
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 12:36:49 »
IMO, a good price. Great deal for someone looking for a W113.
That being said, a dedicated forum is not necessarily a good place to sell a vehicle.
- Most people who are here already have one
- Most people who are looking for one do not check the forums as forums are mainly for discussion among owners and technical help. Selling is not a big part

I am a member on quite a few "motor" forums and this is what is true for all of them.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 13:15:29 »
IMO, a good price. Great deal for someone looking for a W113.
That being said, a dedicated forum is not necessarily a good place to sell a vehicle.
- Most people who are here already have one
- Most people who are looking for one do not check the forums as forums are mainly for discussion among owners and technical help. Selling is not a big part

I am a member on quite a few "motor" forums and this is what is true for all of them.

Except we might know someone who is hankering after a car and that one looks great.

enthusiast113GA

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2021, 13:42:06 »
Thank you Mike. 

Thank you Stick.

If you know of better venues to post my car for sale, please tell me. 

I just don’t want to use Hemmings.  Have tried to sell my four classics on Hemmings and have never had any responses at all.

**** By the way, to anyone interested in my car above:  the inline 6cyl in it sounds sublime at idle.  I like to look at my car but at times I really just like to hear it run in my garage.

From the time I bought it to now, the sound is the same at idle.  In the engine bay, it is quiet.  At the exhaust pipe it is a low rumble that sounds better than my 66 Mustang with a 289 V8.  The 230SL simply sounds musical by comparison.   I have a 63 Ford Falcon with an inline 6cyl as well, and it is quite different: utterly quiet in the engine bay and at the exhaust pipe as well.  You can’t hear the Falcon at all. 

It is very interesting to study how these cars - born only a few years apart 50 years ago - were engineered. 

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2021, 13:48:53 »
It seems like to achieve a really high selling price, BaT - Bring a Trailer - (on-line Auction site) is the place to go. However, it is quite an effort for the seller to offer a vehicle there. 150+ pictures plus a video of the car running are expected from the auction watchers. Lots of comments and questions by "know-it-alls" will come.
I believe for a fee of around $400.-, the BaT staff will come and take all the pictures and video for you.
I would expect this car to go as high as 75-80k on BaT.
If you sell it to someone for 50k, watch it appear on BaT for sale again.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

mgmoore

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • United Kingdom, England, cheltenham
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2021, 18:24:31 »
Hi,

Just to let you know Bring a Trailer for this one. Bought mine via bat 2018, Kansas car, same colour, same year, same originality 37k. Yours should make 55-60k easily. Brilliant site, very straight forward way to buy/sell classic cars. Good luck, Matt

enthusiast113GA

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2021, 18:43:53 »
Hi Matt -

Thanks!

I am curious.  You are in the UK. You bought your car from Kansas.  What were the legal and international shipping issues that you had to go through?

Pinder

• Gold
  • USA, NJ, Edison
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2021, 21:45:23 »
This looks to be a very solid car. 
1970 280 SL Light Ivory DB 670. 4 Speed manual shift no AC Limited Slip Diff.

mgmoore

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • United Kingdom, England, cheltenham
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2021, 07:44:44 »
Hi,

Import to the Uk from Kansas cost £1600.00 shipping (roll on roll off) 5% import duty on the overall purchase price. Matt