Author Topic: Trying to Make Replacement Keys - A Puzzle  (Read 2780 times)

tarheel

• Inactive
  • Junior Level
  • USA, NJ, MULLICA HILL
Trying to Make Replacement Keys - A Puzzle
« on: August 07, 2021, 00:04:49 »
I am attempting to make replacement keyset for my 1969 280SL.

I am facing a number of challenges and need guidance.

IgnitionFirst, I have only 1 ignition key.  Went to local locksmith and they stated they did not have a "blank" to make a copy of the 1 ignition key of have.  What type of blank is needed here and where can I obtain?

Door Key I have 2 keys that work the passenger side door well.  Yet this same key does not work the driver's side door?  Is this normal where the driver's side requires a key other than the one for passenger side?  Seems they should be identical.  If they should be identical, perhaps the driver's side chamber where key inserts is frozen?  What is recommended to resolve?

Glove Box I do not have a key and do not know how to create one to fit existing glove box locking chamber.  What is recommended to resolve?

Trunk - Same as above.  I do not have a key and do not know how to create one to fit existing glove box locking chamber.  What is recommended to resolve?

Mystery Keys - I was given the keys shown on the MB keychain depicted here - yet they do not operate anything?  I thought the small key would work the glove box but not the case.  These are mystery keys and unsure if they are MB or not.  Adds to the puzzle.  Input welcomed.

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
Re: Trying to Make Replacement Keys - A Puzzle
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2021, 00:51:43 »
Hi,

If you are or eventual become a Full Member to our site you will then have access to every area of our site including our technical manual (TM). In our TM you would find a complete section then on “Keys” part number etc for the different keys. The annual fee of $30 (only less then 0.09 cent per day) will save you a lot of money on your 1969 Pagoda). Thrust me I have the same car as yours and being a full member since 2013 it has saved me thousands.

So go ahead, make the move and find your keys and more, you can thank me later.

Dieter
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2021, 01:04:52 »
Key code for glove box is stamped into the side of the lock cylinder.  Remove from car, write it down, order it.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

tarheel

• Inactive
  • Junior Level
  • USA, NJ, MULLICA HILL
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2021, 11:09:37 »
Yes sir - will do and thank you

tarheel

• Inactive
  • Junior Level
  • USA, NJ, MULLICA HILL
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2021, 11:55:54 »
Assume by "order it" you mean from an Authorized MB Dealer?

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2021, 13:21:42 »
Assume by "order it" you mean from an Authorized MB Dealer?
No, I used to get keys from key-men.com but sadly the old man who ran it has died.  If you google old car keys cut to code you will probably find others.  MB might be able to order them, not sure. 
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2021, 13:01:57 »
Since you are a full member you should read this if you have not already.   It is not 100% accurate as it assumes all 280’s had the one-key system but this one key system came partway through the 280 cycle.  However it will provide you with a lot of info.

https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Interior/Locks

Both doors should be same key. 

If you think most of your locks are original to the car I would just call Mercedes classic center and order a FULL set of keys from them.  You will need to provide VIN plus proof of ownership (via email).  It is cheap and this way you will get a full set.  If your locks have been changed, of course they will not work.  You might be able to order blanks as well at the same time but not sure.   I had complete sets of keys but ordered full set to have clean spares and it was the easiest way and worked perfectly.  I agree with some that the plastic head on the ignition key does not hold well. 

« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 13:08:21 by kampala »
250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam