Author Topic: Changing hose through firewall for washer fluid  (Read 1869 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Changing hose through firewall for washer fluid
« on: July 26, 2021, 14:31:35 »
This is the first time in more than two years that I've had my car for any length of time and the first time ever that I didn't have autumn/winter looming upon me like a ticking time bomb to get things fixed on the Pagoda.

One item long overdue is the replacing the tubing/hose that goes from the nozzle that sprays on the windshield, goes through the cowl, and firewall and connects to the washer fluid tank. I don't know if this is a one piece deal, or not. I do know that the piece coming out of the firewall is probably original (based upon the color), while my pump and tank are newish.

So, what's involved in replacing this tubing and connecting it all up? Anyone done this?
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
Re: Changing hose through firewall for washer fluid
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 15:45:52 »
Michael, here perhaps: https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=27755.msg199632#msg199632

Small parts:
A 002 997 59 82 hose, sold by meters, you would need about a meter
A 000 997 31 81 the two grommets you need so that water does not come to the footwell
A 113 869 00 24 connector to nozzle, if you break it
A 113 994 00 21 lock spring to nozzle if you find yours rusted

You have to undo the air inlet grille and you would need to dive under dash.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 17:35:32 »
Michael,
I need to do this myself, so I've been reading relevant posts on the topic:
https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=18405.msg128437#msg128437
https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=16446.msg113920#msg113920
Now I just need to do it!
I'll be interested to read about what you learn in the process.
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
(98 from the end of production)
DB180 Silver Gray Metallic
Black MB Tex

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 18:51:44 »
Might also want to remove the cowl intake cover, not just the chrome grille, but also the wipers, shaft covers, the two screws exposed on the topside and the long cover.
Will expose the intake flap and the hose for the wiper wash.
I've always wondered why Mercedes painted the two phillips screws at the ends holding the cowl cover on?
Walter

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 12:02:37 »
Not a lot of room under the dash with the steering column, pedals as well as the defrost duct in your way.  Really tight space.  Before I touched it I would remove the cowl vent, flap and filter and see if you can tug on one end and get the tube to slide one way or the other. If you can I would find a small hose barb fitting that fit the tube.  From the cowl vent side I would attach the new hose to the old and tape over the joint with packing tape.  Do this neatly and without too many wraps or it might snag.  I would then lubricate the tube on the cowl end with soapy water and pull the tube from the firewall end while feeding the other end through.  The reason I would pull at the firewall end is if you lose it at the last grommet you can peel back the big 30mm grommet and still have a fighting chance to snag it with some long nose pliers.  Hopefully you will be able to change the cowl end grommet with the tube in place.  The other grommet isn't an issue.

Pawell66's advice on parts is spot on.  buy the elbow connector and the clip. you will most likely need it.