Author Topic: Mercedes Benz and electrification  (Read 2195 times)

AndrewB

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, Channel Islands, Forest
Mercedes Benz and electrification
« on: July 24, 2021, 17:59:23 »
We had a discussion on electrification recently. On Thursday 22nd July (this week) Mercedes Benz announced that they have bought YASA, the electric motor company I invested in some years back and helped grow. I am stepping down as a director of YASA as a result.

Mercedes AMG have been discussing electrification with YASA for over 2 years now and at the start of the year initiated discussions on acquiring the business. The negotiations were not straightforward since, as a giant company, they have their own particular style. Nevertheless, we got there in the end and it has been a good investment.

Mercedes are planning to use YASA motors for all their performance Electric and hybrid vehicles and to be all electric in certain markets from early 2030’s (not in the US, and in Africa and other “developing” markets).

I was proud of selling YASA to Mercedes - over 2 years they have rigorously reviewed the company and the technology, and it met all of their tests. Given their reputation for engineering, this was a great stamp of approval for YASA and the team. The deal is a win/win, since the existing YASA shareholders would not have been able to invest the money into manufacturing that Mercedes can.

I am a petrolhead, but even so appreciate that at some time, whether I buy “the science” or not, things will change. I hope to be driving my fossil fuel cars for a long time in future, including my latest, an S560 cabriolet with an AMG v8 twin turbo
Motor !

I have attached the article from Thursday’s Financial Times if it is of interest to anyone.

Best regards,
Andrew
1969 280SL
1970 280SL (undergoing restoration)
1971 Range Rover Suffix A Kingsley Restomod
1987 500SL
2002 Porsche 996 Targa
2011 Landrover Defender TdCi
2019 Mercedes S560 Cabriolet

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
Re: Mercedes Benz and electrification
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 01:37:19 »
Congratulations, that's impressive. And should help you retire in style, if you wish to. The pdf failed to load though, for me at least.

The physical basis of the greenhouse effect was already well understood in the 19th century, it would be difficult to dispute. Now that we are consuming 15 billion tons of fossil fuel per year it's not hard to believe we'd be influencing the composition and dynamics of our (only 20 km thick) atmosphere. Though yes, opinions on this topic, even among scientists, often seem based more on ideology than science.

DaveB
(also petrol/dieselhead, though not skilled, with strange affinity for the smell of used gear oil)

« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 08:08:34 by DaveB »
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 07:46:41 »
Sincere congratulations!
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

RAY

• Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Bromley
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 09:01:32 »
A great achievement Andrew. Congratulations.

I also could not open the pdf, it said the file was empty ?

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2021, 12:09:17 »
Being part and remaining part of a company that is being bought by Mercedes Benz is not an easy endeavor. I was very close to the action when MB bought Chrysler, and it wasn't pretty.
There is always a concern about the difference in mind-set and business cultures between companies from different countries, but there is also a significant difference between MB and most other car companies in Germany. I am allowed to say that, as I am German.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner