Author Topic: Windshields almost NLA  (Read 2338 times)

johnk

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Avon
Windshields almost NLA
« on: July 22, 2021, 20:18:45 »
A year ago the non-tinted Windshields were no longer available. I ordered a tinted one last week and was told there were only a few tinted ones left. When I picked it up today the dealer told me I was lucky to even get this one.

List price was about $550 but the dealer gave me 20% off.
John Krystowski
Avon Ohio
1968 Euro 280sl under restoration
2016 Jag F-Type R sold june 2021
1950 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 SS For sale
2008 E350
2007 GL 450
2019 BMW 540

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Windshields almost NLA
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 21:20:38 »
I just had my windshield replaced within the past year. Non-tinted. OEM. MB.
Originally, 20 years ago, I had a PPG (with tint band) put in. It was fine. But after 20 years of highway driving (often to Joe's in Blacklick) it was too pitted for my taste. So, during my recent work off it came.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 23:48:41 »
Who does good work replacing the windshield?
Is any of the run-of-the-mill places able to do it? Does a MB dealer still know how to?
Any advice?
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 06:11:32 »
You want old school run of the mill that have been around a long time. AScreen needs to be corded in. Modern cars are bonded so the new places with a young team will struggle…
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 06:15:18 »
I would expect aftermarket suppliers will still carry suitable screens if Mercedes won't. Mercedes does not make them anyway.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

johnk

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Avon
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 12:39:52 »
Who does good work replacing the windshield?
Is any of the run-of-the-mill places able to do it? Does a MB dealer still know how to?
Any advice?

Mike
there is a place in Parma that still can do it the old way. They did my Porsche after I had problems doing it myself with the string method.
One of my employee's husband is an old time installer, but he had a stroke loosing the usage of one arm. He is going to come over to walk me through the installation on mine. He can still use one hand to hold a beer so it should be more fun than taking my car back and forth to Parma.

I would be happy to dig up the name of the shop in Parma, or you call around to your local non-franchise shops. Someone will probably lead your to a closer shop that still has the talent.

John
John Krystowski
Avon Ohio
1968 Euro 280sl under restoration
2016 Jag F-Type R sold june 2021
1950 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 SS For sale
2008 E350
2007 GL 450
2019 BMW 540

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2021, 14:34:33 »
I don't believe that this is as much of an issue as some are making it out to be. Yes, for certain, new windscreens on new cars are glued or bonded to the car. However, a true, professional automotive glass place will be able to do it. If in the oft-chance it may be some new franchise, or a new operation with no skilled workers, that may be an issue. In Michigan where I used to live, there was a local place called Henderson Glass (which had numerous locations throughout Michigan) that could do it. Most skilled body shops can do it as well. The glass on my Pagoda was changed by Motorwerks, and the guys that did it are all younger than all of us, and all considerably younger than the cars. No big deal; they fix and do all kinds of work on all kinds of cars from all eras 1950s+, so this is and was not an issue for this independent repair shop. The easiest thing to do is just start calling around.

Now--the rear quarter glass on the hard top? That's a different story. That takes not only experience, but specific skills and tricks. Still, this was done on my hard top by the young ones, but they have gleaned their experience from other pros coming in their shop as well as numerous other hard tops being restored. All the rubber on my hard top was changed, and all the trim re-plated; so all the glass was removed, and all the glass was replaced with new OEM seals.

The glass on the hard top and doors is all OEM, and features the mark/brand "Kinonglas-Kristall"; that's all 50+ years old. The replacement windscreen, new, says "AGP" which is a newer glass company supplier. All glass on my car now has the Mercedes-Benz three point star on it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 16:37:08 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2021, 19:21:02 »
AGP (American Glass Products) contracts to the former PPG glass which is now Pittsburgh Glass Works. If Mercedes runs out they can always have another batch made.

MikeSimon:  When it comes  time I am more than happy to help if you want to do it.  It is tedious getting the glass in the molding then getting the surround moldings on the molding but fairly simple.  Apparently the aftermarket rubber doesn't fit so a factory rubber will be required.  I did mine by myself using a ratchet strap around the posts (Borrowed from a VW Super Beetle website) for a little tension and it almost fell into place.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 04:32:55 by Shvegel »

awk166

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2021, 06:13:43 »
Fyi I just had a non tint installed on my 67 230 supplied from vintage euro parts aka benz restorer in CA. Dealer supply is erratic and only tinted are available. Installed by West Coast Glass in Seattle. Top quality work.