Author Topic: ‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️  (Read 3425 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️
« on: July 15, 2021, 12:13:31 »
In the most recent issue of car and driver magazine, July August 2021, page 67, there is a brief two page article on a mechanic in Massachusetts who is installing a 6.2 L V8 from a Camaro SS into a Tesla model S.

This is too funny. There is no shortage of stories and people trying to electrify vehicles that were never meant to be; I believe there are a couple of pagoda‘s that have been electrified or at least the owners have attempted to do so. Then there are all manner of all other kinds of vehicles that people have done their own home brew electrification.

So this is a very interesting twist. I hope he doesn’t need many Tesla parts because he’s going to have an extremely difficult time in finding them.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
Re: ‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 20:54:08 »
Electric chassis cars are totally different animals than ICE ones. While you can do anything you want, just because you want to prove you can, I really don't see any worthwhile reason to put an ICE engine into an electric car.
There is no decent airflow in the "engine compartment" of an EV to house an ICE efficiently. The whole cabin comfort, i.e.: heating and ventilation set-up is different. You have to somehow find a spot to put a fuel tank...
While converting ICE to EV is a lot of deletion of components, going the other way is ADDING stuff.
Sorry, I don't even want to read about the stuff.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 21:24:20 »
Sorry, I don't even want to read about the stuff.

Thanks for the lesson. If you don't want to read about it, don't buy the magazine or don't turn to those pages if you happen to get it. If only all your problems were that simple.

Yes this is ludicrous. That's why it's a story. Most of what they write about is done with some kind of humor. The particular issue had a lot of EV stuff in it including the detailed story of a bunch of these editors making a 1,000 mile journey in plug in electric cars with all of their range anxiety, in a "race".

I found the story fascinating, especially the backstory (hint: we've seen that guy before in those very pages). Ludicrous or fascinating, it's not a whole lot different than other ambitious projects that solve a problem that doesn't exist; like electrifying a Pagoda for instance.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 13:27:23 »
Sounds like a lot of trouble to go through to make the quickest accelerating four-door sedan on the planet go slower . . .
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2021, 13:57:35 »
Sounds like a lot of trouble to go through to make the quickest accelerating four-door sedan on the planet go slower . . .

Oh, so you saw the YouTube video of a Tesla totally destroying a Hellcat in a ¼ mile run, eh?

If you get the article, Mike, and read it--they guy behind it has made a "hobby" so to speak of buying totally wrecked Teslas and rebuilding them. He uses donor cars, new and used parts, etc. to bring a Model S with a salvage title back to life. He does this for fun. That takes a LOT of energy, initiative, and craftiness; the firm/guy that did the work on my Pagoda had a partially wrecked Tesla Model X in for repair two years ago, and it took six months to get all the right parts before he could ship it to the dealer in not so nearby Cleveland for them to "finish it up" and install the airbags.

The ICE V8 was a fun side project for the guy in the C&D article.  He probably had a chassis from which he stripped the motors, and most of the needed parts--and needed another project!  ;)
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Tyler S

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2021, 20:19:05 »
The guys name is Rich and he has a YouTube channel (Rich Rebuilds) of all his going’s ons. This swap is about getting views on his channel. Thats where the money comes from. Nobody would be doing this otherwise and the car and driver article is just a byproduct of his popularity.
A lot of other youtubers are doing similarly stupid things like lifting a Lamborghini Hurrican and taking it offroad 🤣.
Its all about the views
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 15:31:06 »
The guys name is Rich...Rich Rebuilds...This swap is about getting views on his channel. Thats where the money comes from. Nobody would be doing this otherwise.
Its all about the views

Well, are you sure about that? You had me until you said "nobody would be doing this otherwise".

People have been doing all kinds of bizarre rebuilds and engine swaps and similar things that many don't understand, forever, long before YT "views" became a thing and people had to register with the FTC as "influencers" and what not. Personally I don't go to YouTube for entertainment so I'm not contributing to views of the bizarre; I'm generally on the lookout for any kind of "how-to" information instead.

Fourteen years ago, a guy in Michigan put a 6.0L V12 from an S600 into a 560SEC. Later, he put the same kind of engine in an early SLK. Commensurate with that, he was putting an M5 engine into a early 3.0CSi. If you are member of the MBCA there was a recent article (last issue) on Bob Sirna's 300SL that has, for YEARS been trying to earn a record at Bonneville for a 3.0L sportscar...that's required a LOT of work over more than 10 years including multiple engine swaps. Bonneville is also the place where others have put wheels on a GE J47 jet engine from an F86 trying to set records. The more you look, the more you find. While today people may be doing this for YT or TikTok or other kinds of social media reasons, in the past they did it for a challenge, for a commission, to set a record or some other reason.

The guy in Michigan, by the way, is Dr. Satish Tummala, and his shop, Motorwerks, has done some excellent normal work on my Pagoda. Like restoration of my hard top, door swap, etc.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 15:36:53 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2021, 17:55:38 »
I think some people here, including myself, are drawing a line between attempts to "improve" or "elevate" a car with an engine swap, either because of the quest for performance or modernization, and the utterly stupid or senseless - which this is, IMO. For some, the Tesla has a nice appearance and cool design lines, which would be one reason to take the body and turn it into an ICE car. Other than that... ??? Like someone in the early 1900s taking a gasoline engine powered car and putting a steam engine in it.... :o
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

Tyler S

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2021, 16:23:37 »
Well, are you sure about that? You had me until you said "nobody would be doing this otherwise".

Ok. Let me rephrase. “He wouldn’t be doing this otherwise”
Rich is also an avid right to repair activist and he has called out Tesla on numerous occasions. Part of this might also be an attempt at gesturing.
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)

mnahon

• Silver
  • Canada, QC, Montreal
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2021, 00:15:34 »
It's worth mentioning that Rich has done a lot more than just sticking a V8 into a junked Tesla; I don't think he should be judged only by that one project. As Tyler mention, he's an avid 'right to repair' advocate. He also runs a chain of garages (the Electrified Garage) that repairs Teslas https://electrifiedgarage.com/

I think this video is more representative of what drives him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ytm_GnTkl0

He's clearly a smart guy and worth a second look.
Meyer Nahon
Montreal, Canada
1968 MB 280SL Auto Euro LHD Silver
2021 Tesla Model 3

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2021, 15:50:15 »
He's clearly a smart guy and worth a second look.

Smart, and fun. These are the kinds of "sidebar" stories that interest me. I'm not so haughty or dismissive of things--and I admire his perseverance and thought. So, tell me a story about a jacked up Lambo being taken off road, or Karl Middlehauve and Paul Bracq conspiring to turn a 600 into a pickup truck. Love it.

Until anyone tries to get Tesla parts, or fix a crashed Tesla, you don't know how smart this guy is.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2021, 19:26:38 »
. . . Like someone in the early 1900s taking a gasoline engine powered car and putting a steam engine in it.... :o

In the early 1900s a steam powered car was considered the smoothest and most luxurious mode of automotive transport. Steam powered cars were quieter, less smelly, more powerful, more reliable and generally easier to operate than the noisier and more cantankerous gasoline powered cars of the era, many of which were still being powered by single and twin cylinder engines.

The first U.S. President to ride in an automobile was William McKinley in 1899, who rode in a Locomobile steam carriage piloted by its inventor, W.O. Stanley.  Upon the election of William H. Taft (who was reputed to be an early car enthusiast), in 1909 Congress appropriated money to fund the purchase of the first White House fleet, eventually consisting of a White Steamer, a Baker Electric and two Pierce-Arrows.  The White House Historical Association issued a Christmas ornament of the White Steamer, commemorating the first White House Presidential automobile.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)