Author Topic: What Happened to our Website?  (Read 7992 times)

ted280sl

• Silver
  • USA, NY, New Rochelle
What Happened to our Website?
« on: July 08, 2021, 14:03:47 »
I have been a member of this club since 2003. I was previously a member of the Yahoo site we came from. I do not post often but, when I do I appreciate the response I get from fellow members. I in turn try to share the knowledge I learned from owning and working on my pagoda for over 20 years. Changes have been made to the website that I feel are counter productive.
I posted a problem I am having with my gearshift. I got into a dialogue with some members but, then my post was removed from the forum. I searched and finally found it with a section on the gearshift bushings. This was not helpful as I already changed the bushings and I am still having problems. I do not find this editorial decision helpful or useful. I have the blue manual and the Hanes book. If I wanted to read documents,do research and try a host of possible solutions I would not need to be a paying member of this group. I value the experience and exchanges I have had with members over the years. I feel I have been cut off from posting and the expertise of our members. It might be more efficient and economical not to rehash prior discussions but, it is also dry, impersonal and less valuable. I suggest the policy should be reconsidered.
Ted280sl
1969 280sl
Member since 2003

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
Re: What Happened to our Website?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 14:26:18 »
After years of participating in forums, when I enter a new forum and I'm the newbie, out of courtesy I search first, then ask and indicate that I have searched.  I should make an effort to find my answer first, especially to newbie questions, rather than burden others to answer my question and make it easy for me.  Some forums are easier to search than others.
Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 14:46:59 »
Hi Ted -

Are you referring to the "Re: Shifting Problem" topic you started yesterday in the "Drive train, etc." section?  Although I have no expertise to share pertaining to manual transmissions as my Pagoda is an automatic, I have been following your request for guidance, responses and further description of the problem with interest.  The topic is still there and does not appear to have been locked.  I hope one of our many technically proficient members is able to pass along the tip that helps you resolve your problem.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 17:07:29 »
As someone who makes his living from these cars, I will only post responses where I believe I have something to add that is not already here.

ted280sl

• Silver
  • USA, NY, New Rochelle
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2021, 18:23:06 »
Mike I thank you for your reply and interest. I believe that is the strength of this club. At this point the answer eludes me. I suspect as the bushings did not have an impact there is something else malfunctioning. Hopefully someone will be able to give me some guidance. I have never had the transmission rebuilt but, I suspect and hope there is a less drastic solution.
Sincerely,
Ted280sl
1969 280SL

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2021, 23:11:19 »
Ted,

Your post is still where you started it and has not been moved at all. 
The moderators do occasionally move posts to the correct heading and when that is done it will give a redirection notice at the old site.  We do this so that posts on particular subjects stay under the correct headings and make it easier for people in future to search by heading rather than across the whole Forum.

https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=33492.msg244736#msg244736
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2021, 06:14:56 »
Hello,
In my opinion, the solution to the problem addressed here is not black or white, because it also depends on the expectations and know-how of the person asking. One only wants to hear the answer "42", the other the full background of the question and many others everything in between.
In this respect, all the answers are somehow helpful not only for the questioner, but also for all other readers who feel the same way.
But what makes a forum particularly valuable is the feedback, i.e. what has resulted from the answer. Then both should fill the Wiki so that there is an overall picture.
I would recommend doing both a short answer and the link to the knowledge base. Furthermore, the result should also be entered. The forum itself is a discussion platform before, during and after finding a solution.
And one more thing: Sometimes I don't want to give ashort answer because the question asked gives me the impression that it is "safer" not to answer, especially when it comes to security-related matters. Here, in particular, a reference to the Wiki is more important in order to give the questioner the full scope and maybe show the risks of his doing.
...WRe
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 06:39:32 by WRe »

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2021, 09:02:47 »
Peter,
adding more to the manual makes a lot of sense, the question is, of course, who will do it? 
Take a look here: https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Site/AllRecentChanges
and scan threw the changes. What you find is that about 75% of the manual was written by a dozen (+/-) individuals; believe me, after awhile, one looses interest being almost alone out there.
If we can convince all of those who dream of, or wish, or request - or even demand - more from the manual to first write up a substantive contribution to it then it might be possible to get to this somewhat ideal state eventually.

Hi,
I would support Peter's and Alfred's proposal to overhaul the Technical Manual to make it more attractive, focussing and easier to edit to support possible editors. I myself read the edit notes and ended up with copyiing existing entries and changing it with my content.

Some years ago I've made a small statistic of contributions and activities in Pagodentreff forum and it shows what Alfred emphasizes that only a few members are really active and are willing to bring us a lot nearer to solve problems.
...WRe

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2021, 10:57:04 »
Your post is still where you started it and has not been moved at all. 

Garry is correct, your post is where you posted it, Ted, and has not been moved. By the way, the system logs all moderator actions and I can see nothing has happened to the post.

However, you posted this question "What happened to our Website" as a reply in a thread which had not been posted in for 2 years, and which was called "About a forum", and which was about something else entirely.

I split your post, and the responses on it, to a new topic called "What happened to our Website". Posting in an old topic is a surefire way to get confused.

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2021, 11:00:46 »
Hi,
I would support Peter's and Alfred's proposal to overhaul the Technical Manual to make it more attractive, focussing and easier to edit to support possible editors. I myself read the edit notes and ended up with copyiing existing entries and changing it with my content.

Which is a perfectly fine way to do it, and in fact, I do that myself too.

Some years ago I've made a small statistic of contributions and activities in Pagodentreff forum and it shows what Alfred emphasizes that only a few members are really active and are willing to bring us a lot nearer to solve problems.

Same here. However, because of international data-protection regulations we actually delete members who have not logged into the forum for over a year.
Have a look here: https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?action=stats
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!